Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Extend a Filesystem with other LV Post 302143338 by aldowsary on Wednesday 31st of October 2007 07:06:55 PM
Old 10-31-2007
PORTER Smilie ???

Thanks a lot bakunin for your replay that has very useful information especially for me. Really, I appreciate replies like this, because it includes the answer (problem's solution) & the useful knowledge.
Thanks again. Smilie

I asked the above question because I faced a problem. I have a Filesystem which mounted over a specific LV. This LV belongs to a VG that consists of 2 PVs. This VG has MAX PVs = 8, and this is the main reason for my problem & I will explain why later.
Recently, the percentage of used space from this FS reached 90% & to increase this FS a new storage has been allocated to my system on SAN. This new storage consists of 9 PVs. Obviously it isn't possible to add all these PVs & this my problem.
Unfortunately, the SAN admin restricted with a policy that prevent him from giving me the required size divided into less than 7 PVs. Also I don't think it is possible to change the MAX PVs for the VG, because I didn't see this option except during the VG creation.

Finally, how can I add these PVs to increase the FS size? According to my knowledge I think the solution is to recreate the VG.
If am right & the only way is to recreate the VG what is the best scenario to do that without losing the existing data?

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

how can I extend /usr filesystem

How can extend /usr filesystem in hp-ux 11.11 (I'm not using online JFS) ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pedro_lezaeta
0 Replies

2. Solaris

How to extend a filesystem

I am running solaris 10 with Veritas. I want to extend a filesystem. It's an oracle partition (/ora12). How can I find out if there is space available to expand the filesystem and then how does one extend it. I'm from the HPUX world and so LVM was always how I did things. Thanks jackie (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackiebaron
5 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to extend a filesystem??

OK I'm sure this question has been posed far too many times. I have solaris 10 x86 with NO Veritas or Disksuite filesystems. Below is the output of df -k # df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on / 10485760 547513 9317128 6% / /dev... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackiebaron
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

5. Solaris

I need expand or extend a filesystem dfsk.

Hello I need to expand a filesystem is full, but I understand that for this I need a volume manager like SVM or Veritas. I have installed solaris 10 but I give it a metastat and tells me there is no database, as if the installation does not have the sudmirrors attachments. The filesystem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cata
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

7. AIX

choosing correct VG for Filesystem extend

Hi Gurus, I have Aix 5.3 server and would like to extend the following filesystem. Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/lv_mecdr 120.00 12.04 90% 560973 14% /home/mecdrBut there's only 16G for the VG, may be i can expand it... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
11 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies

9. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Extend zfs storage filesystem

Hello, Need to ask the question regarding extending the zfs storage file system. currently after using the command, df -kh u01-data-pool/data 600G 552 48G 93% /data /data are only 48 gb remaining and it has occupied 93% for total storage. zpool u01-data-pool has more then 200 gb... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahzad53
14 Replies
vgreduce(1M)															      vgreduce(1M)

NAME
vgreduce - remove physical volumes from an LVM volume group SYNOPSIS
autobackup] vg_name pv_path ... autobackup] vg_name pv_path autobackup] vg_name DESCRIPTION
The command removes each physical volume specified by a pv_path argument from volume group vg_name. The command with option removes all missing physical volumes from the volume group. All but one physical volume can be removed. The last physical volume must remain in the volume group so that the logical volume driver can continue to operate. The last physical volume in the volume group can be removed with the command (see vgremove(1M)). Before executing remove all logical volumes residing on each physical volume represented by a pv_path by executing the command (see lvre- move(1M)). Any physical volume in the pv_path list that is also a member of a physical volume group (as defined in is also removed from the physical volume group. If the physical volume happens to be the last one in the physical volume group, the physical volume group is also removed from the volume group. When a physical volume in the pv_path list has multiple the physical volume is not removed from the volume group until all the links to the volume are removed. When a physical volume in the pv_path list is the (in use) to a physical volume, removing the link forces LVM to switch to the (For information on alternate links, see lvm(7)). When the pv_path removed is an to the device, only the link is removed; the volume group and physical volume are otherwise unchanged. When a physical volume is added into volume groups version 2.0 or higher, the number of physical extents available on this device will be added into of the volume group (see vgdisplay(1M)). If the size of physical volume is such that would exceed the VG Max Extents of the volume group, the number of physical extents available on this device will be reduced accordingly (see vgextend(1M)). If a subsequent on a different physical volume, frees up space, then the number of extents allocated to the partial physical volume is automatically increased. Under these circumstances the command will display the old and the new values for the count for this partial physical volume (see pvdis- play(1M)). Options and Arguments recognizes the following options and arguments: Set automatic backup for this invocation of this command. autobackup can have one of the following values: Automatically back up configuration changes made to the volume group. This is the default. After this command executes, the command (see vgcfgbackup(1M)) is executed for the volume group. Do not back up configuration changes this time. Force the reduction of missing physical volumes from the specified volume group. obtains the name of each physical volume (PV) belonging to the volume group. It then reads the kernel PV structures to work out which PVs are missing. PVs which are missing will be candidates for removal. If all the physical extents on the missing PV are free then it will be removed from the volume group. Otherwise will report the physical to logical extent mapping. For missing PVs which have extents in use, you must free up all the extents by using the or commands (see lvreduce(1M) and lvremove(1M)) and re-run with the option. This option is most commonly used when the command (see vgdisplay(1M)) shows "Cur PV" higher than "Act PV" and all of the PVs belonging to the volume group are attached. This option only works on PVs and not on links. See the option for details on handling missing links. Removes the specified pv_path/s from the or file. This task will only be performed if the pv_path is currently marked as missing from the volume group. This option was mainly designed for the problem where the or the command place too many links beyond the max limit allowed in the or file. Currently the max limit is 8 paths to a PV (seven alternates and one primary). In this situation, invoking the command without the option will not resolve the condition because the path is not attached to the volume group. Similarly, this condition can not be overcome by invoking with the option, as the same works on physical volumes rather than the links. pv_path The block device path name of a physical volume. vg_name The path name of the volume group. Shared Volume Group Considerations For volume group version 1.0 and 2.0, cannot be used if the volume group is activated in shared mode. For volume groups version 2.1 (or higher), can be performed when activated in either shared, exclusive, or standalone mode. Note that the daemon must be running on all the nodes sharing a volume group activated in shared mode. See lvmpud(1M). In the case a PV alternate link is reduced, is updated only on the server node. In the case a PV is reduced, all the PV device special files are removed from on all the nodes sharing the volume group. When a node wants to share the volume group, the user must first execute a if physical volumes were removed at the time the volume group was not activated on that node. LVM shared mode is currently only available in Serviceguard clusters. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Remove physical volume from volume group Force, reduction of missing PVs from volume group: The following messages will appear after missing PVs has been removed successfully: PV with key 0 successfully deleted from vg Repair done, please do the following steps.....: 1. Save or to another file. 2. Remove or 3. Use to recreate or 4. NOW use to save the LVM setup. Remove the physical volume from the volume group when the physical volume is still in the or file but is currently marked as missing from the volume group: SEE ALSO
lvmpud(1M), vgchange(1M), vgcreate(1M), vgdisplay(1M), vgextend(1M), intro(7), lvm(7). vgreduce(1M)