Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: new c++ user that needs help
Top Forums Programming new c++ user that needs help Post 302142622 by cold16 on Sunday 28th of October 2007 03:49:01 PM
Old 10-28-2007
new c++ user that needs help

I'm in a programming class and I have an assignment where I have to open a file, and count the number of times a certain character apperas that the user input, in that file. I need help in figuring out how to create a function to count the number of occurence of a give characeter, and with any mistakes that I may have made. So far this is what I have

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

// function to find the number of occurences of a character
int count_file(ifstream& in_file, int num);
int count_file(in_stream, out_stream);
int main()
{
int num, total;

//open file input
in_stream.open("infile.txt");
if (in_stream.fail())
{
cout << "opening input file failed" << endl
<< "program terminated" << endl;
exit(1);
}

cout << "Enter a charcter that you would like to know whether or not it appears";
cin >> num;

// function to find the number of occurences of a character
count_file()

//open file for output
out_stream.open("outfile.txt");

count_file(in_stream, out_stream);

// closing files
in_stream.close();
out_stream.close();

return 0;
}

int count_file(ifstream& in_file, int num)
{
while(! in_file.eof())
{
fin.get(num)
total =
}
}

// function to output the answer
int count_file(in_stream, out_stream)
{
cout << "The charcetr" << num << "occured" << total << "times";
}

Last edited by cold16; 10-28-2007 at 05:11 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update LDIF User info based on Test User Certs ID's

Hi I need help.......... I have an Sun One Directory server LDIF file with 5000 user entries, I need to change the data to match Test ID's, so I can run a perf test. I'm way out of my league as I have not done any scripting for 10 years. There are four entries for each user in the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Macdaddy99
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pam.d and make difference between AD User and local user on Linux

Hello, i configured rhel linux 6 with AD directory to authorize windows users to connect on the system and it works. i have accounts with high privileges (oracle for example) if an account is created on the AD server i would to block him. I looked for how to do, for the moment all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincenzo
3 Replies
FBB::Ranger(3bobcat)						   Error handler					      FBB::Ranger(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::Ranger - generalizes ranges for range-based for-loops SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ranger> DESCRIPTION
The Ranger class template defines ranges that can be used with range-based for-loops. The standard range-based for-loop requires for its range-specificiation an array or an iterator range as offered by, e.g., containers (through their begin and end members. Ranges defined by a pair of pointers or by a subrange defined by iterator expressions cannot currently be used in combination with range-based for-loops. Ranger extends the applicability of range-based for-loops by turning pairs of pointers, an initial pointer and a pointer count, or a pair of iterators into a range that can be used by range-based for-loops. Ranger is a class template requiring one template type parameter: Iterator, an iterator or pointer type reaching the data when derefer- enced. Ranger's users don't have to specify Ranger's template type. The function template ranger returns the appropriate Ranger object. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. FREE FUNCTION
When using the following free functions, any (subrange) of iterators or pointers can be used. With iterators subranges of reverse iterators can also be specified. The EXAMPLE section below illustrates the use of the ranger function templates. o Ranger<Iterator> ranger(Iterator &&begin, Iterator &&end): this function template returns a Ranger object for the (sub)range defined by two (reverse) iterators; o Ranger<Iterator> ranger(Iterator &&begin, size_t count): this function template returns a Ranger object for the (sub)range defined by the (reverse) iterator range begin and begin + count; o Ranger<Data *> ranger(Data *begin, Data *end): this function template returns a Ranger object for the (sub)range defined by the two pointers begin and end; o Ranger<Data *> ranger(Data *begin, size_t count): this function template returns a Ranger object for the (sub)range defined by the two pointers begin and begin + count. CONSTRUCTORS
Below, Iterator refers to the Ranger class template's type parameter. Although named 'Iterator' it can also be a pointer to some data type (e.g., std::string *). o Ranger(Iterator const &begin, Iterator const &end): A Ranger object can be passed as range-specifier in a range-based for-loop. All elements defined by the range will subsequently be visited by the range-based for-loop. The copy and move constructors are available. OVERLOADED OPERATORS
The copy and move assignment operators are available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
o Iterator const &begin() const: returns (a copy of) the begin iterator passed to the Ranger's constructor. Note that if Iterator was a pointer type (like int *) the data to which the iterator returned by begin() can actually be modified, as the member's return type (using int * for Iterator) becomes int * const &, so a reference to a constant pointer to an int. This is perfectly OK: if the data themselves should be immutable, then the data type must be defined as int const, which is automatically the case when passing int const * data. See the EXAMPLE section for an illustration. o Iterator const &end() const: returns (a copy of) the end iterator passed to the Ranger's constructor. If reverse iterators are passed to Ranger's constructor, then the begin and end members return reverse iterators. Since the intended use of Ranger objects is to define a range for range-base for-loops, members like rbegin and rend can be omitted from Ranger. EXAMPLE
#include <vector> #include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ranger> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { vector<int> iv {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}; // display and modify a subrange for(auto &el: ranger(iv.rbegin() + 1, iv.rend() - 1)) cout << el++ << ' '; cout << ' '; // display a reversed range for(auto &el: ranger(iv.rbegin() + 1, iv.rend() - 1)) cout << el << ' '; cout << ' '; // same: display using a count for(auto &el: ranger(iv.rbegin() + 1, 3)) cout << el << ' '; cout << ' '; int intArray[] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}; // display and modify elements // in a pointer-based range for(auto &el: ranger(intArray + 1, intArray + 3)) cout << el++ << ' '; cout << ' '; // data now modified for(auto &el: ranger(intArray + 1, intArray + 3)) cout << el << ' '; cout << ' '; // using a count rather than an // end-pointer for(auto &el: ranger(intArray + 1, 3)) cout << el << ' '; cout << ' '; int const constInts[] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}; // data can't be modified for(auto &el: ranger(constInts + 1, constInts + 3)) cout << el << ' '; cout << ' '; } FILES
bobcat/ranger - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::Ranger(3bobcat)