Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: extended ascii problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extended ascii problem Post 302142547 by smooth on Saturday 27th of October 2007 09:24:28 AM
Old 10-27-2007
thanks ill dig into that Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Extended ascii

Hi all, I would like to change the extended ascii code ( 128 - 255). I tried to change LC_ALL and LANG in current session ( values from locale -a) and for no good. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avis
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processing extended ascii character file names in UNIX (BASH scipts)

Hi, I have a accentuated letter (ö) in a script for an Installer. It's a file name. This is not working and I'm told to try using the octal value for the extended ascii character. Does anyone no how to do this? If I had the word "filförval", can I just put in the value between the letters, like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peli
9 Replies

3. AIX

Printing extended ASCII

Hi All, I'm trying to send extended ascii characters to my HP2055 as part of PCL printer control codes. What I want to do is select a bar code font, print the bar code and reset the printer to the default font. Selecting the bar code font works good. Printing the bar code goes almost ok too. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify extended ascii characters in a file

Hi, Is there a way to identify the lines in a file having extended ascii characters and display the same? For instance I have a file abc.txt having below data aaa|bbb|111|This is first line aaa|bbb|222|This is secõnd line aaa|bbb|333|This is third line aaa|bbb|444|This is foùrth line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: decci_7
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace Extended Ascii Characters

We are getting extended Ascii characters in the input file and my requirement is to search and replace them with a space. I am using the following command LANG=C sed -e 's// /g' It is doing a good job, but in some cases it is replacing the extended characters with two spaces. So my input... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
12 Replies

6. Programming

How to read extended ASCII characters from stdin?

Hi, I want to read extended ASCII characters from keyboard using c language on unix/linux. How to read extended characters from keyboard or by copy-paste in terminal irrespective of locale set in the system. I want to read the input characters from keyboard, store it in an array or some local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal Extended ASCII using awk

Hi All, I am trying to remove (SELECTIVE - passed as argument) Extended ASCII using Awk based on adhoc basis. Can you please let me know how to do it. I have to implement this using awk only. Thanks & Regads (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extended ASCII Characters keep on getting reintroduced to text files

I am working with a log file that I am trying to clean up by removing non-English ASCII characters. I am using Bash via Cygwin on Windows. Before I start I set: export LC_ALL=C I clean it up by removing all non-English ASCII characters with the following command; grep -v $''... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print byte position of extended ascii character

Hello, I am on AIX. When I encounter extended ascii characters and special characters on a file I need to print.. Byte position, actual character and line number. Is there a simple command that can give me the above result ? Thanks in advance (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
38 Replies
RUN-PARTS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      RUN-PARTS(8)

NAME
run-parts - run scripts or programs in a directory SYNOPSIS
run-parts [--test] [--verbose] [--report] [--lsbsysinit] [--regex=RE] [--umask=umask] [--arg=argument] [--exit-on-error] [--help] [--ver- sion] [--list] [--reverse] [--] DIRECTORY run-parts -V DESCRIPTION
run-parts runs all the executable files named within constraints described below, found in directory directory. Other files and directo- ries are silently ignored. If neither the --lsbsysinit option nor the --regex option is given then the names must consist entirely of ASCII upper- and lower-case let- ters, ASCII digits, ASCII underscores, and ASCII minus-hyphens. If the --lsbsysinit option is given, then the names must not end in .dpkg-old or .dpkg-dist or .dpkg-new or .dpkg-tmp, and must belong to one or more of the following namespaces: the LANANA-assigned namespace (^[a-z0-9]+$); the LSB hierarchical and reserved namespaces (^_?([a-z0-9_.]+-)+[a-z0-9]+$); and the Debian cron script namespace (^[a-zA-Z0-9_-]+$). If the --regex option is given, the names must match the custom extended regular expression specified as that option's argument. Files are run in the lexical sort order (according to the C/POSIX locale character collation rules) of their names unless the --reverse option is given, in which case they are run in the opposite order. OPTIONS
--test print the names of the scripts which would be run, but don't actually run them. --list print the names of the all matching files (not limited to executables), but don't actually run them. This option cannot be used with --test. -v, --verbose print the name of each script to stderr before running. --report similar to --verbose, but only prints the name of scripts which produce output. The script's name is printed to whichever of stdout or stderr the script first produces output on. --reverse reverse the scripts' execution order. --exit-on-error exit as soon as a script returns with a non-zero exit code. --lsbsysinit use LSB namespaces instead of classical behavior. --new-session run each script in a separate process session. If you use this option, killing run-parts will not kill the currently running script, it will run until completion. --regex=RE validate filenames against custom extended regular expression RE. See the EXAMPLES section for an example. -u, --umask=umask sets the umask to umask before running the scripts. umask should be specified in octal. By default the umask is set to 022. -a, --arg=argument pass argument to the scripts. Use --arg once for each argument you want passed. -- specifies that this is the end of the options. Any filename after -- will be not be interpreted as an option even if it starts with a hyphen. -h, --help display usage information and exit. -V, --version display version and copyright and exit. EXAMPLES
Print the names of all files in /etc that start with `p' and end with `d': run-parts --list --regex '^p.*d$' /etc COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1994 Ian Jackson. Copyright (C) 1996 Jeff Noxon. Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998 Guy Maor Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Clint Adams run-parts is free software; see the GNU General Public License version 2 or later for copying conditions. There is no warranty. Debian 27 Jun 2012 RUN-PARTS(8)