Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED help (remove line::parse again::add line) Post 302142031 by bakunin on Wednesday 24th of October 2007 02:56:15 AM
Old 10-24-2007
I suspect the problem to be the following:

After changing the file /home/$usrName/.facet and writing the results to /home/testdir/$usrName (so far ok) you try to modify this file writing back to it immediately. This is FORBITTEN! Something like

sed 's/this/that' file > file.new

works, but

sed 's/this/that' file > file

won't. The reason is: sed will read the first line of the input file (which is "file"), apply any rules that might be applicable and then write the result (the changed or not changed line) to <stdout>. This <stdout> is at this moment pointing to "file" and this is why after the first line the file will contain nothing more than exactly that first line - so sed encounters the EOF and thinks it is finished. In the first example it is not writing back to its input file but some other file "file.new", which is why there is no problem.

There is another (perhaps minor) detail i found: You read from keyboard a variable "usrList" and do nothing with it. Why?

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse Line Using Sed

Hello All, I am new to using sed, and I need to extract from the string data after : delimeter. Can you help me please with the sed command? Here's the input: ipAddress: 10.20.10.11 ioIpAddressNodeB: 10.20.10.10 ioIpAddressNodeA: 10.20.10.9 ipAddress: 0.0.0.0 Expected Output:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: racbern
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line

hello experts, I need a sed command that remove last 10 characters of a line start from 3rd line. any suggestions? Thanks you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how do you parse 1 line at a time of file1 ie. line(n) each line into new file

File 1 <html>ta da....unique file name I want to give file=>343...</html> <html>da ta 234 </html> <html>pa da 542 </html> and so on... File 2 343 234 542 and so on, each line in File 1 one also corresponds with each line in File 2 I have tried several grep, sed, while .. read, do,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: web_developer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED remove line feed and add to certain area

Hi All, I have a xml file and requirement is to remove the line feed and add line feed after some element. <?xml version="1.0" ?> <AUDITRECORDS> <CARF> <HED> <VN1>20090616010622</VN1> <VN2>0</VN2> <VN3>1090</VN3> <VN4>CONFIG_DATA</VN4> ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejitnair123
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to Add and Remove Records only from first line/last line

Hi, I need help with a maybe total simple issue but somehow I am not getting it. I am not able to etablish a sed or awk command which is adding to the first line in a text and removing only from the last line the ",". The file is looking like follow: TABLE1, TABLE2, . . . TABLE99,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enjoy
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse configuration file & add line in particular section

Greetings, I recently built a replicated DRBD, Heartbeat, & iSCSI Target Initiator storage server on Ubuntu 10.04 to offer shared storage to server Vmware ESX and Microsoft Clusters. Everything works flawlessly, however I wanted to make a script to create, remove, grow volumes to offer ESX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aeudian
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed to remove only first line erroneously removes last line too

Hello everyone, This is my first posting. I have read the rules of this forum. I have searched many various threads and haven't found one that applies to my situation or suggestions to fix the issue. I do appreciate the help. I am trying to execute a basic UNIX script in a Solaris... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dqrgk0
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: Read line parse characters into variable and remove the line if the date is older than 50 days

I have a test file with the following format, It contains the username_date when the user was locked from the database. $ cat lockedusers.txt TEST1_21062016 TEST2_02122015 TEST3_01032016 TEST4_01042016 I'm writing a ksh script and faced with this difficult scenario for my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/grep: check if line exists, if not add line?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the following as I want to use multiple commands to search thousands of files. is there a way to speed things up? Example I want to search a bunch of files for a specific line, if this line already exists do nothing, if it doesn't exist add it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
4 Replies
GSHADOW(5)                                                 File Formats and Conversions                                                 GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when a user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 GSHADOW(5)