Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can someone kindly help with appending problem!!! Post 302141997 by summer_cherry on Tuesday 23rd of October 2007 11:31:58 PM
Old 10-24-2007
awk gsub!!!!!

Hi,
Try this one.

Code:
nawk '{
gsub(/root/,"\nroot",$0)
print
}' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK scripting problem - appending values

ABC:10:A1:ABCA110 ABC:10:A1:ABCA110 ABC:20:A1:ABCA120 DEF:20:D1:DEFD120 GHI:30:G1:GHIG130 GHI:40:G1:GHIG140 JKL:30:J1:JKLJ130 MNO:10:M1:MNOM110 What I'm trying to do is look through a file that consists of four columns (as above). As you can see there are duplicates in the file, i.e.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowntree
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FOR loop problem: Kindly Help

Hello Friends, I have file called reference.txt which looks like below, columns are been formed by delimiter "|" as shown. I am required to scan whole file line by line & compare 1st 2 columns with new name (ex. ferrari) & new version (2.1). CODE PURPOSE: whnever new project formed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: okdev
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

kindly help me out on this please

Hello experts, please help me on this. This is the scenario: I have applications like BigBrother,PowerKeeper/PowerBroker etc.. which I have to install during server build for both AIX and Solaris. I already have separate installation scripts for both OS for all applications. Now, I want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem in appending the correct log

Hi All, I have a perl module TrxLog.pm and following are codes in it #!/usr/local/bin/perl package TrxLog; %log_begin=""; %log_end=""; %log_msg=""; %log_start_time=""; %log_end_time=""; $ix=0; @arr_msg=""; if (! -e "TrxLog.txt"){ open (TRX,">TrxLog.txt"); }else{ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with appending a file!

Hi All, I have a script which i use in office. This script is used to log the work in users name. For that in the script itself I have added that the infomration should append to the logfile everytime the script is run. LOGFILE=/data/log/request1.txt All these days it was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
3 Replies

6. Solaris

CJS instalation one problem...kindly help

hi am installing CJS frm one server to a cleint and i first did ./add_install_client -e now i need to know the mac add of the client so i entered into client and now hopw can i go to ok prmt ^] when this symbol is entered am nt being able to enter to ok promt what to do i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: all_is_well
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending timestamp problem

Hi, I am trying to insert a timestamp after all the file names in a folder,after the timestamp is created in the filename the file size is becoming zero bytes. please tell me where I am doing it wrong. I have declared the variable in starting of my script. timestamp=`date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed appending problem

i have a number of java files containing eg: --------------myfile.java-------------- package zip.fun.myfiles; import java.* import something..; import sdfdfdsa; ... ... -------------------------------------------- Now I need to append / insert a line as follows: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in appending text to a file located in remote server

ssh -q "server_name sudo echo 'dbagroup::1234' >> sudo /etc/group"if i execute the above code its not getting appended. my requirement is to login to remote server and append dbagroup::1234 in /etc/group i am able to achieve this with tee -a command want to know why its not working with >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 2 text files - Problem in windows

Hello, I have text files to append and am able to do with cat. cat file1 file2 >file3 and file3 works fine in UNIX (checked with vi and it looks fine) but when i open the same file in windows I see 2nd file appended as a single-line. In other words, all the lines of 2nd file appended to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
2 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). OPTIONS
-V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), pivot_root(2), mount(8), switch_root(8), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2011 PIVOT_ROOT(8)