Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: su: user x does not exist
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers su: user x does not exist Post 302141962 by porter on Tuesday 23rd of October 2007 05:22:33 PM
Old 10-23-2007
You could the useradd command and specify the uid (often the -u argument).

Looks like your /etc/passwd is default or you have not configured whatever mechanism (LDAP or whatever) for accessing a remote user database.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Change password - User does not exist

When trying to change the password with the command "passwd" it returns that the user does not exist. passwd <USER> passwd: changing password for <USER> passwd: <USER> does not exist This is a Solaris 2.5.1 system. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryamada
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Validate if user and group exist

I'm kinda new to unix programming so bear with me... I'm running a script prompting a user for an existing user and group and want to be able to validate if they valid. Is there any code available? Any help or push in the right direction would help. Thank you, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thedon
2 Replies

3. Linux

Root user doest not exist

Hi All, I changed the root user home directory to /home/root for some testing purpose, afterwards the logged user name its showing "I have no name" instead of root and also when we want to su to root its giving root user doesnot exist, so I tried to add the root user then its giving root user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasidarvarma
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possibility of logging into linux machine when the user does not exist locally

Hi, I am trying authenticate ssh users login using third party server (radius) instead of local system authentication. I have modified my /etc/pam.d/sshd with required server auth configuration and able to authenticate user using radius server and the user is able to ssh into this linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhandapanik
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

error"warning: user owen does not exist - using root"?

I am trying to install openmotif22-2.2.3-18.src.rpm, after I typed in " rpm -i openmotif22-2.2.3-18.src.rpm" the following message comes out: warning: user owen does not exist - using root warning: group owen does not exist - using root I am install openmotif under root account. Do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishwater00
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a user that doesnt exist from a group

Hi there, normally if I want to remove a user tht I have added to a specific group, i would do the following this is what my group2 looks like # grep group2 /etc/group group2:x:7777:user2,user1,user4 user1 has been defined in a few groups # id -nG user1 group1 group2 group3 So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

7. Solaris

User directory doesn't exist

Hii all, i create the user useradd -d /home/kk kk passwd kk when i tried to login to kk i get a error user directory doesn't exist then i tried useradd kkk passwd kkkwhen i tried to login to kkk i get the same error user directory doesn't exist. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinkumarr89
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user if UID not exist; else, exit the script

Hi, I want to write a script to check whether an user ID is used in my server and then create that user. If the user ID is not used, I will echo something like "OK, continue" and then continue to execute the script. Else, I will echo something like "Used, exit" and then exit the script. As... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a User exist if not create user

What I'm trying to do is write a script in Perl to find a user and if that user exist it would print "User Exist, Pls Try Again". If The user doesn't exist I'm able to create a user with a password. Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux sftp — how to add new user to access exist directory with write permission?

I have built a website and I can access and edit the website'files on server via the root user. The current file and directory structures are not changeable. Now I am hiring a webpage designer to help me re-design some pages, I am going to let the designer edit the files directly on the server. So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwo-g-xw
5 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)