Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Date Question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Date Question Post 302141665 by fpmurphy on Sunday 21st of October 2007 06:58:26 PM
Old 10-21-2007
Convert the date to a Julian date. The day of the week can be obtained from the remainder of the division of the Julian date by 7. Zero (0) represents Monday.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

date question

hi, how do i get the last day of the current date or a given date using unix. for e.g. if i run the command/script on 1st feb 2002 i should get 28 th feb 2002. thanks !! AnkuR. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankurgupta
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date function question

hi guys! just want to ask if you could help me with the sript i'm working on. i need to automatically generate a summarized report everyday for all transactions the day before and ftp it to another machine. my only problem is that i need to name the file as the date yesterday. for example if i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: crpalermo
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

date question

I have a little bash shell script which is used to backup files (via cron) to an NASLite server every 7 days. a=$(date +%b_%d_%Y) tar -lcpf /tmp/laptopbackup.$a.tar /home ncftpput 192.168.0.5 /Disk-1/laptop /tmp/laptopbackup.$a.tar The filename thus includes the date on which it is made,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdeschene3
3 Replies

4. AIX

Date question

I am creating a shell script and have a question about how to determine yesterdays date. In my script, I can determine today by: today=`date '+%Y%m%d'` but I am not sure how to determine yesterday. In other languages, I would just subtract one from today, but I don't know how to do that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date question

hi guys, i've got a simple one.. date_time="`date '+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S'`" gives me the system's date and time... which my script will use this variable to run the data on this date... my question is... if now, i want to run the script for data's that are like 6 months back... how can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 12yearold
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Scripting Question

I am trying to append a portion of a file with a date on it that changes daily to a temp file. Here are my commands: set DATE = ('date +%Y%m%d_sum.log') cat $HOME/right/$DATE > /export/home/temp.txt Here is the error I keep receiving: cat: cannot open /temp/usr/nedaniel/right/date... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigDawg32
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date format question

I have a string that looks like this: 2008 04 09 18 45 30 0 I would like to convert it to a date format like this: Wed Apr 09 18:45:30.000 GMT 2008 I have been searching all over and can't find anything to help me. I am using ksh on a sun solaris unix machine. Thank you. Allyson (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another Date Question - Sorry

I have been out of the UNIX World for a number of years and none of my reference books seem to be helping e with this seemingly simple question. How can I manipulate the below command to reflect the previous day and not the current date? the command is: elm -s “SAP prs for `date... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McRae
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo date question

Whats the difference between using date in these 2 methods? How exactly does the shell handle the first one different from the second one? $ echo $date $ echo $(date) Tue Aug 16 03:10:25 EDT 2011 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding question for GNU date

Hello All, Greetings all !! I have a query here, following are the points on same(Adding today's is 31st August 2016 for future reference). 1st Scenario: So while doing some work on GNU date, I wanted to check what was the month(in numbers) by GNU date so I have done following. date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
2 Replies
CALENDAR(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       CALENDAR(3)

NAME
easterg, easterog, easteroj, gdate, jdate, ndaysg, ndaysj, week, weekday -- Calendar arithmetic for the Christian era LIBRARY
Calendar Arithmetic Library (libcalendar, -lcalendar) SYNOPSIS
#include <calendar.h> struct date * easterg(int year, struct date *dt); struct date * easterog(int year, struct date *dt); struct date * easteroj(int year, struct date *dt); struct date * gdate(int nd, struct date *dt); struct date * jdate(int nd, struct date *dt); int ndaysg(struct date *dt); int ndaysj(struct date *dt); int week(int nd, int *year); int weekday(int nd); DESCRIPTION
These functions provide calendar arithmetic for a large range of years, starting at March 1st, year zero (i.e., 1 B.C.) and ending way beyond year 100000. Programs should be linked with -lcalendar. The functions easterg(), easterog() and easteroj() store the date of Easter Sunday into the structure pointed at by dt and return a pointer to this structure. The function easterg() assumes Gregorian Calendar (adopted by most western churches after 1582) and the functions easterog() and easteroj() compute the date of Easter Sunday according to the orthodox rules (Western churches before 1582, Greek and Russian Orthodox Church until today). The result returned by easterog() is the date in Gregorian Calendar, whereas easteroj() returns the date in Julian Calendar. The functions gdate(), jdate(), ndaysg() and ndaysj() provide conversions between the common "year, month, day" notation of a date and the "number of days" representation, which is better suited for calculations. The days are numbered from March 1st year 1 B.C., starting with zero, so the number of a day gives the number of days since March 1st, year 1 B.C. The conversions work for nonnegative day numbers only. The gdate() and jdate() functions store the date corresponding to the day number nd into the structure pointed at by dt and return a pointer to this structure. The ndaysg() and ndaysj() functions return the day number of the date pointed at by dt. The gdate() and ndaysg() functions assume Gregorian Calendar after October 4, 1582 and Julian Calendar before, whereas jdate() and ndaysj() assume Julian Calendar throughout. The two calendars differ by the definition of the leap year. The Julian Calendar says every year that is a multiple of four is a leap year. The Gregorian Calendar excludes years that are multiples of 100 and not multiples of 400. This means the years 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100 are not leap years and the year 2000 is a leap year. The new rules were inaugurated on October 4, 1582 by deleting ten days following this date. Most catholic countries adopted the new calendar by the end of the 16th century, whereas others stayed with the Julian Calendar until the 20th century. The United Kingdom and their colonies switched on September 2, 1752. They already had to delete 11 days. The function week() returns the number of the week which contains the day numbered nd. The argument *year is set with the year that contains (the greater part of) the week. The weeks are numbered per year starting with week 1, which is the first week in a year that includes more than three days of the year. Weeks start on Monday. This function is defined for Gregorian Calendar only. The function weekday() returns the weekday (Mo = 0 .. Su = 6) of the day numbered nd. The structure date is defined in <calendar.h>. It contains these fields: int y; /* year (0000 - ????) */ int m; /* month (1 - 12) */ int d; /* day of month (1 - 31) */ The year zero is written as "1 B.C." by historians and "0" by astronomers and in this library. SEE ALSO
ncal(1), strftime(3) STANDARDS
The week number conforms to ISO 8601: 1988. HISTORY
The calendar library first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
This manual page and the library was written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The library was coded with great care so there are no bugs left. BSD
November 29, 1997 BSD