Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pass csh variable to Perl
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass csh variable to Perl Post 302141190 by porter on Thursday 18th of October 2007 04:39:10 AM
Old 10-18-2007
Unless you are passing the value as an argument you will most probably have to export it.

Also, in perl try some form of getenv().

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass CSH variables up to the parent?

Hi .. I have a dynamic script called from a programming language called Powerhouse (4GL). The module, called QUIZ, allows the user to call shell commands from within it... i.e. !rm -f mipss156t2cmd1.bat mipss156t2tmp1.txt !printf '#!/bin/csh\n' > mipss156t2cmd1.bat !printf 'setenv... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i pass parameter with spaces to csh script

Hello all i need to pass to my shell script parameter that looks like "2 3 3" inside the script i need to use this string that looks like this "2 3 3" but when i try to print the script im getting syntax error , this is my script : set s = $1 echo $s (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[csh] How to capture output from a command and pass it on to a variable?

Hi there! I'm trying to write a script that will capture output from a command and assign it to a variable. Let's say, for example, I'd like to catch from inside the script whatever the following command outputs: ls *.aaa and put it into a variable "listoffiles". What I tried was: set... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machinogodzilla
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass perl variable to sed

Hello, I'd like to pass a variable to a sed command in a perl script. The script is like this : #!/usr/bin/perl -w $newline="new"; system q(sed '/insert/ i\ '$newline <sed1.txt >sed2.txt); But the interpretor wouldn't recognize $newline, it inserts a "\n" instead. I've also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hi_ryo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do a formatted substittion in perl with a csh variable?

Hmm quite difficult for me to express my problem in one sentence.Introduction {i am a newbee to csh perl, awk and stuff, and by surfing these forums i managed to build quite a big code using all three of them in a script. Have to admitt, it was not a good idea, and its the perfect example of how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radamez
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass enviroment variable from csh to Informix sql script

Hello, I have a csh script that creates an environment variable. I want to pass the environment variable(CURR_TABLE_DATE) to an Informix sql script. Here is the csh: #!/bin/csh -f setenv INFORMIXSERVER market3_tcp setenv CURR_TABLE_DATE 20090714 set DATABASE = gm_cdr set SQL_DIR =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwoj
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - pass shell-vars into perl for input loop

I need to process a file line-by-line using some value from a shell variable Something like:perl -p -e 's/$shell_srch/$shell_replace/g' input.txt I can't make the '-s' work in the '-p' or '-n' input loop (or couldn't find a syntaxis.) I have searched and found... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass parameters from perl to csh scripts

I use csh a lot but I don't really write csh scripts. Now I have a need to implement a security check (written in perl; verify an user input security code) into a csh script. Here is the senario: #csh 1. call the perl script 2. if the perl script returns 'true', pass on; if the perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Julian16
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Csh - setenv ENV change environment variable

I have 3 programs, 1 in perl, 2 in csh: call them perl1, csh1 and run.ol I need perl1 to set csh1 variable NOLOG_qsub = "" I need perl1 to run, run.ol run.ol takes the executable and input and outputs to output run.ol#!/bin/csh -f # run.ol executable input output perl1 should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinj
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies
shift(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)