Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help!!!!!! in creating csv report Post 302141124 by xander on Wednesday 17th of October 2007 09:55:51 PM
Old 10-17-2007
Data help!!!!!! in creating csv report

Dear All,
I need the help of all the genius minds to find solution to my problem. This problem has left me in a situation like I am in middle of sea with a rubber boat , so please help me out to get out of this.

Problem:--
I m using the informix database with installed on linux machine and I access my database through putty to generate reports from informix

Now the one of my report that I m getting is in the following form .
E.g:---- cat xyz_report.txt
HTML Code:

contact_date  2007-08-15 00:00:22
user_id       074631
display_name  xander
comments
vci done cust was not able recharge his account ..prob done ..told the cust his issue has been forwarded to the concerned dep
artment and it wil b resolved with in next 24 hrs ..so try recharging  account after 24 hrs..
description   C-Cust not able to do Manual Recharge 
account_no     123456789
email         abc@xyz.com

contact_date  2007-08-15 00:00:27
user_id       074612
display_name  joe
comments
VCI DONE,
Cust called and he said that he is not able to recharge his account manaully through the webiste so told the cust that i will
 forward this concern to my concerned department
Informed the customer about the taxes and and told the cust that if he do the recharge then cust will recive an auto genrated
 email
tat : 24 hours

account_no    987654321

contact_date  2007-08-15 00:00:46
user_id       75129
display_name  philip
comments
vci done ....
cust unable to recharge his a/c ....getting error processing req ...tat given for 24hrs ...taxes and auto-generated mail info
rmed ....
account_no    702345698

contact_date  2007-08-15 00:04:35
user_id       76547
display_name  hsingh
comments
VCI DONE...CUST NOT ABLE TO RECHARGE HIS ACCOUNT MANUALLY CONFIRMED HIM HE IS FILLING UP ALL THE BILLING ADDRESS DETAILS AND
CREDIT CARD DETAILS CORRECTLY I.E HIS CVV NO ..CREDIT CARD EXPIRY DATE AND THE MAKE OF THE CREDIT CARD. SO TLD THE CUST TO TR
Y TO RECHARGE HIS ACCOUNT AFTER  24 hrs ..TAXES also tld for recharge OVER AND ABOVE the plan value as per the BILLING ADDRES
S...and the cust will recieve a AUTOGENERATED MAIL after successful recharge of his account.

S...and the cust will recieve a AUTOGENERATED MAIL after successful recharge of his account.

account_no    612654897

contact_date  2007-08-15 00:05:06
user_id       76374
display_name  shivk
comments
vci not required and askd fo rthe promo offer available and for DTT offer. so told that i will forward the feedback to the co
ncern departement for DTT offer however we have Independenmce day offer as of now and told about the conmplete offers as The
Independence Day Offer is

valid till August 31, 2007 (EST)
if recharge/register for 25, 50,

100, 200 dolars then will get

the extra talk time as per the

offer.
* Users who are eligible for the

Independence Day Offer will

receive an email from Airtel

CallHome within 4 working

days of the transaction ( for

$50,$100 & $200 signups or

recharges). To avail the offer a

reply to this email (with the

required details) must be sent

during the promo period or five

days from receiving the email

whichever is later.
* Saris will be delivered only to

the intended addressee in India

within 30 days of the receipt of

the reply mail from the

customer.
* Customer must compulsorily

choose a sari code representing

one out of six types of saris

mentioned in the email. There

is no choice of color.
* There are no delivery charges

for Sari.
** The regular minutes

calculation is based on calling

from USA to India. and told that

he can recharge any numbr of

time in offer and told about the

taxes and mail for the

confirmation of recharge... TAT:

24 hrs for the extra talk time to

be credited.
and told about the taxes and

mail for the confirmation of

recharge... TAT: 24 hrs for the

extra talk time to be credited.
description   Q-Promotional Offer
account_no    612123456
email         	abc@xyz.com
Now as you can see that there are 7 fields in rows these are :--
=================================================
1.contact_date
2.user_id
3.display_name
4.comments
5.description
6.account_no
7.email

====================================================
There is single line data in front of each field except the comments field which has its data in multiple lines.

Now i want to create a report in csv format so that i can open it in spreadsheet for analysis .I want only the data in front of each fields (not the names of field ) to be arranged in 7 columns of the csv file so that i can open these in spreadsheet.

My biggest problem is how to manipulate the data of the comments field.

Also I would like to tell that if i remove the comments field i can easily find the solution to my problem with awk i.e
HTML Code:
awk -F" " '{ print $2 }' xyz_report.txt | awk 'BEGIN { FS="\n" ; RS="" } { print $1","$2","$3","$4","$5","$6 }' > finalreport.csv
I dont find any solution on how to manipulate the 4th field which is comments field.

kindly inform if some other details are required .
Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a csv file in awk

Hi All I am trying to create a csv file in the korn shell and the script segment is as follows: if then # NEED TO ADD INFO TO THE EMAIL FILE ABOUT THE DRIVE THAT'S FILLING UP echo "$drive $percent% $space "|\ awk '{printf("%d/t"|"%d/t"|"%d/t\n",... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Segwar
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating multiple worksheets in CSV file

Hello, I've been tasked with sending 3 types of data (file size, row count, and file name) to a csv file every month for various vendors. I have been asked to put this in one csv or xls file with each vendor being a different tab (or worksheet). Until now, we have been finding and emailing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekster757
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating CSV Files

I have a requiremnt to create one CSV file with initial 5 lines as blank rows. From 5th row onwards the file is to be created from a list of varibales which gets evaluated. Say A,B,C,D,E are 5 varibales with some value associated with each of them and data type is string. So the 6th row should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dr46014
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a CSV file for past 7 days

I have a requirement which will select the files with a specific naming convention which got created in past 7 days in a specific directory.Lets say the directory is /data/XYZ and the file names follow the below nomenclature like Daily_File*.txt I just need to create one CSV file which will... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating CSV files

hi, Need a lil help experts. i have a sh file and its calling one SQL file. i need the dataset returned by that SQL file in a CSV format. Can you plz help me out at the earliest. waiting eagerly .. :confused: Thanks.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyniladri
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a report from csv file.

Hi Gurus, I need your help in transforming the CSV file into some what a report format. My source file looks like below Date,ProdID,TimeID,LevelID 2010-08-31,200,M,1 2010-08-31,201,Q,2 2010-08-31,202,Y,1 2010-08-31,203,M,5 Output required is ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen.kuppili
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a csv file from this 1 liner?

I'm trying to create a csv file by running awk and sed on a number of xml files in a directory; I'm using this below: hostname; grep "BuildDate" /dir/ABCD/configuration/*/*.xml | awk -F"/" '{ print $5 }' > /tmp/tempfile.txt; grep "BuildDate" /dir/ABCD/configuration/*/*.xml | awk -F\" '{ print $2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in creating CSV file

Hi guys, I am not experienced with Unix, so please dont mind if the question seem to be irrelevant. I have written a simple script, that connects DB & fetches few records from a table. I wanted to get those details as file in .CSV format via mail. -I stored the query o/p in a file. -I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitburnwal88
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a csv file with header in UNIX

I have a flat file that contains dynamic list of variables like a=1 b=2 c=3 . .. z=26 I need to convert the above into a csv file having the format below: a,b,c,..,z 1,2,3,..,26 Please note, I do not want a comma separating the last variable. I tried to refer the post... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkumbhakarna
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for creating the report

Hi, I have a file that contains below information: provider APESD APESD Annual Turn $67000 Provider XXXX Annual Turn $92000 Provider FERHG FERHG Annual Turn $56700 Provider ABXX Annual Turn $99000 These are just sample rows out of some 5000. I want to create a tabular report as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
5 Replies