Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming When I am writing my own interpreter... Post 302141055 by Legend986 on Wednesday 17th of October 2007 01:25:32 PM
Old 10-17-2007
Thank you so much. Can I say that "nano" or "vi" is a process and a command like "ls | grep .c" is a job?

And while implementing pipes, when I issue a command such as "ls | grep .c" in my interpreter, after parsing it, what should I be doing? I read about file descriptors and am assuming the following has to be done:

1. Parse the command line
2. argv[0] contains ls, so fork a process and execute it but redirect the output to a file (I don't know how this can be done internally in the C Code. I know I need to use the execv command to execute but how will I redirect?)
3. In the next parse, I scan the "|" character and so I know that the user wants to pipe the output and at this stage I would fork another process with the argv[2] string i.e. "grep .c" (but this will be stored in argv[2] and argv[3]. How will I know that the second one has command line arguments too and how should I handle them?) and then direct the output of this to the stdout.

Please let me know if the above steps are ok...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

an command interpreter

if somebody can help me pls. i need the source code for a shell which compiles C or java programs. i need a very short and simple one, just for the compiling part, in UNIX Respect (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zlatan005
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

m4 as script interpreter

#!/usr/bin/m4 when running m4 scripts with "#!/usr/bin/m4" they are executed properly, but "#!/usr/bin/m4" is printed out - how to avoid it? Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
5 Replies

3. Programming

Java Interpreter

Hello guys - do you have any sample program implementing UNIX commands in an interpreter with Java? I can look up the simple ones such "ls" etc and then write my own commands. I would appreciate it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple interpreter declarations

Hi, I am writing a shell script that connects to a remote server and performs some tasks on the server and exits. Since i am using a ssh connection, i am using a "expect" utility to supply the password automatically (which is present within the script). In order to use this utility, i need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad Interpreter

Hi. My name is Caleb (a.k.a RagingNinja) form the whited00r forums. (Whited00r makes custom firmware for iOS devices). I have been learning and creating simple shells scripts. I have been recently using VIM for Windows or using VirtualBox to run the UBUNTU OS within VirtualBox to create my shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RagingNinja
2 Replies

6. Linux

interpreter files

Can you explain me what is ment by interpreter files ?? Why and how they are used?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically choosing the interpreter

Hi, Is it possible to choose the inerpreter conditionally. For example, if whereis bash returns /usr/bin/bash then i need to choose #!/usr/bin/bash else i need to use #!/usr/bin/sh. Is it possible to achieve in a shell script? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies
binfmtasm(1)							     binfmt_C							      binfmtasm(1)

NAME
binfmtasm-interpreter - binfmt_misc Assembly handler SYNOPSIS
binfmtasm-interpreter Assembly-source-file-name [command-line opions ...] DESCRIPTION
binfmtasm-interpreter compiles an assembly source file specified on the command-line using gas compiler, and executes the resulting file. It is designed to be used as a handler for binfmt_misc handler, which is a system used in Linux for handling arbitrary files as executa- bles. The command-line options are passed on to the compiled binary. FILE MAGIC
There is a requirement for C++ source files to have the magic characters /*BINFMTASMCPP: at the beginning of the file. That line also is used to specify the additional command-line options for the assmebler. ENVIRONMENT
GAS The compiler used. The default is to use gcc AS The compiler used, if GAS variable is not set. Will fall back to using GCC and CC BINFMTCTMPDIR Temporary directory used for binary and execution. Falls back to $TMPDIR $TEMPDIR or /tmp BINFMTC_DEBUG enables debug output if set. BINFMTASM_GAS_OPTS Additional G++ options. Use BINFMTC_DEBUG to verify the options being passed on to g++. The default is -O2 -Wall AUTHOR
Junichi Uekawa (dancer@debian.org) Upstream page is available at http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/ SEE ALSO
binfmtc-interpreter(1), binfmtcxx-interpreter(1), binfmtf-interpreter(1), binfmtf95-interpreter(1), binfmtgcj-interpreter(1) binfmt_misc Dancer 2005 May 3 binfmtasm(1)