Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print the characters in a word Post 302140974 by chella on Wednesday 17th of October 2007 03:16:01 AM
Old 10-17-2007
Question Print the characters in a word

Hi,

How can I split the characters in a word?

For Eg:

If my input is:
command

my output should be:
c
o
m
m
a
n
d

Please help me in doing it so.

Regards,
Chella

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get first two characters from a word

Hi guyz, suppose there is a variable a=sachin. I want to have letter 'c' from variable a. I am trying this awk 'substr(sachin,2,1)' but its not working. I cant user cut as it requires a file whereas i have a variable. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting last characters of a word

Hi All is there a way to delete last n characters from a word like say i have employee_new i want to delete _new. and just get only employee I want this in AIX Shell scripting Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaryan4545
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to search for a particular word in files and print the word and path name

Hi, i am new to unix shell scripting and i need a script which would search for a particular word in all the files present in a directory. The output should have the word and file path name. For example: "word" "path name". Thanks for the reply in adv,:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtual_45
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How ti Grep for a word and print the next word

Hi can we grep for a word and print the next word of the greped word? ex:- create or replace function function_name create function function_name we should search for word "function" and output next word "function_name" from both lines. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasa_vs
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl lwp find word and print next word :)

hi all, I'm new there, I'm just playing with perl and lwp and I just successfully created a script for log in to a web site with post. I have a response but I would like to have something like this: I have in my response lines like: <div class="sender">mimi020</div> <some html code.....>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vogueestylee
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script?

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word description excluding weird characters like $$#$#@$#@***$# and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. My final goal is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word "description" excluding weird characters like $&lmp and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. I have attached the input... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Search for a word and print the next word

Hi, I am trying to search for a word and print the next word. For example: My text is "<TRANSFORMATION TYPE ="Lookup Procedure">" I am searching for "TYPE" and trying to print ="Lookup Procedure" I have written a code like following: echo $line | nawk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific word and print only the word from the input file

Hi, I have a sample file as shown below, I am looking for sed or any command which prints the complete word only from the input file. Ex: $ cat "sample.log" I am searching for a word which is present in this file We can do a pattern search using grep but I need to cut only the word which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies
JOT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    JOT(1)

NAME
jot -- print sequential or random data SYNOPSIS
jot [-cnr] [-b word] [-p precision] [-s string] [-w word] [reps [begin [end [s]]]] DESCRIPTION
The jot utility is used to print out increasing, decreasing, random, or redundant data (usually numbers) one per line. The following options are available: -b word Just print word repetitively. -c This is an abbreviation for -w %c. -n Do not print the final newline normally appended to the output. -p precision Print only as many digits or characters of the data as indicated by the integer precision. In the absence of -p, the precision is the greater of the precisions of begin and end. The -p option is overridden by whatever appears in a printf(3) conversion following -w. -r Generate random data instead of sequential data, the default. -s string Print data separated by string. Normally, newlines separate data. -w word Print word with the generated data appended to it. Octal, hexadecimal, exponential, ASCII, zero padded, and right-adjusted represen- tations are possible by using the appropriate printf(3) conversion specification inside word, in which case the data are inserted rather than appended. The last four arguments indicate, respectively, the number of data, the lower bound, the upper bound, and the step size or, for random data, the seed. While at least one of them must appear, any of the other three may be omitted, and will be considered as such if given as ``-''. Any three of these arguments determines the fourth. If four are specified and the given and computed values of reps conflict, the lower value is used. If fewer than three are specified, defaults are assigned left to right, except for s, which assumes its default unless both begin and end are given. Defaults for the four arguments are, respectively, 100, 1, 100, and 1, except that when random data are requested, s defaults to a seed depending upon the time of day. reps is expected to be an unsigned integer, and if given as zero is taken to be infinite. begin and end may be given as real numbers or as characters representing the corresponding value in ASCII. The last argument must be a real number. Random numbers are obtained through random(3). The name jot derives in part from iota, a function in APL. EXAMPLES
The command: jot - 42 87 1 prints the integers from 42 to 87, inclusive. The command: jot 21 -1 1.00 prints 21 evenly spaced numbers increasing from -1 to 1. The command: jot -c 128 0 prints the ASCII character set. The command: jot -w xa%c 26 a prints the strings ``xaa'' through ``xaz''. The command: jot -r -c 160 a z | rs -g 0 8 prints 20 random 8-letter strings. The command: jot -b y 0 is equivalent to yes(1). The command: jot -w %ds/old/new/ 30 2 - 5 prints thirty ed(1) substitution commands applying to lines 2, 7, 12, etc. The command: jot 0 9 - -.5 prints the stuttering sequence 9, 8, 8, 7, etc. The command: jot -b x 512 > block creates a file containing exactly 1024 bytes. The command: expand -`jot -s, - 10 132 4` sets tabs four spaces apart starting from column 10 and ending in column 132. The command: grep `jot -s "" -b . 80` prints all lines 80 characters or longer. SEE ALSO
ed(1), expand(1), rs(1), seq(1), yes(1), printf(3), random(3) BSD
January 5, 2010 BSD