Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Socket programming : Accept return 0. Post 302140814 by abc.working on Tuesday 16th of October 2007 06:58:43 AM
Old 10-16-2007
I run the server code, it waits for a connect.
Now i run my client code(client.c):
client localhost

now the server waits till client connects then it exits with recv() returning a -1.
client sends the data and quits.

Last edited by abc.working; 10-16-2007 at 08:07 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Socket Programming

Dear Reader, Is there any way to check up socket status other than 'netstatus ' Thanks in advance, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joseph_shibu
1 Replies

2. Programming

Socket Programming socket

Hello, I actually try to make client-server program. I'm using SCO OpenServer Release 5.0.0 and when I try to compile my code (by TELNET) I've got this error : I'm just using this simple code : and I get the same error if I use : If someone can help me, Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soshell
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

socket programming

my system is a stand alone system... i want to try doing socket porgramming..ihave heard that this is usually done during testing... how can i do that....? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: damn_bkb
6 Replies

4. Programming

Please help! accept function problems in Socket programming

Hi, I have a client-server socket program. It has been working fine for over a year, but recently it started to show strange behavior.:confused: After the server program runs for a while, it will show in the top command saying it is using lots of CPU, MEM. I assume it means the server code is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: natxie
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Port number of socket returned by accept()

Hi, I typed a few tcp/ip client/server examples from a book and it works - sort of - but I noticed something strange. When I run my server I set it to use port 3001 and the client uses the same port to connect to server. They succeed, but the server prints something that doesn't really make much... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: idelovski
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

socket programming

can we send udp message to a destination ip address .. without having an ip address configured in our machine using recvfrom ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
2 Replies

7. Programming

Help with socket programming in C

hi guys i got this code trying to make connection between the server and multi clients but when i do ./server i got message server waiting then when i run ./client it says client 1 nosuch file i dont know whats that should i use any argument plz help how to compile and run and whats the expected... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kedah160
1 Replies

8. Programming

socket accept() keeps looping

I'm using C/ C++ with gcc on Linux. I've a server socket where accept() is called on the socket inside a while() loop. The problem I am facing is that the first call to accept is blocking (i.e., the program waits for the first connection) but as soon as I fork afterwards (so that the child process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaywalker
2 Replies

9. Programming

socket programming

how to include socket.h in visual studio 2005.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asd123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a shell script to automatically accept return key with out user intervention?

Hi Friends, i am creating a shell script which is accepting file name as input parameter from Java and invoking finacle service. The service will accpet text file,B2k_session id,etc and upload the text file data in finacle database. My shell script looks like this:- #! /bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
2 Replies
telnetd(8c)															       telnetd(8c)

Name
       telnetd - DARPA TELNET protocol server

Syntax
       /etc/telnetd

Description
       The  server  supports the DARPA standard TELNET virtual terminal protocol.  The TELNET server is invoked when receives a connection request
       on the port indicated in the TELNET service description.

The server operates by allocating a pseudo-terminal device for a client, then creating a login process which has  the  slave  side  of  the
       pseudo-terminal	as stdin, stdout, and stderr.  The server manipulates the master side of the pseudo terminal, implementing the TELNET pro-
       tocol and passing characters between the client and login process.

When a TELNET session is started up, sends a TELNET option to the client side indicating a willingness to do remote echo of characters,	to
       suppress  go  ahead, and to receive terminal type information from the remote client.  If the remote client is willing, the remote terminal
       type is propagated in the environment of the created login process.  The pseudo terminal allocated to the client is configured  to  operate
       in cooked mode and with XTABS and CRMOD enabled.

Aside  from  this  initial  setup, the only mode changes will carry out are those required for echoing characters at the client side of the
       connection.

The server supports binary mode, suppress go ahead, echo, and timing mark.  It also allows a remote client to do binary, terminal type, and
       suppress go ahead.

Restrictions
       Some TELNET commands are only partially implemented.

The TELNET protocol allows the exchange of the number of lines and columns on the user's terminal, but does not make use of them.

The terminal type name received from the remote client is converted to lower case.

The server never sends TELNET go ahead commands.

See Also
       telnet(1c), pty(4), tty(4), services(5), inetd(8c)

telnetd(8c)