Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Error Message: find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle Post 302140315 by porter on Thursday 11th of October 2007 08:04:56 PM
Old 10-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezsurf
find: cannot open /: Stale NFS file handle
can you "ls /" ?

What does "mount" say?

Try each mount point.

Is your NFS server uncontactable?

Are you time-synchronised to your NFS server?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NFS file handle

How can I kill mount connection(NFS , made by automount) if remote filesystem is down? I tried: fuser -ku /auto /auto: umount /auto nfs umount: ERROR: /auto is busy If I try cd /auto - I get - /auto: Stale remote file handle. I know that reboot will help but I cannot reboot this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kazimir
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Stale NFS file handle

Hi, I get an error saying "Stale NFS file handle" how can I solve this? Is it possible to do this with a umount/ mount command? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
5 Replies

3. Solaris

NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle

:confused:Hi all When i see in the /var/adm/messages, i saw the following error unix: NFS write error on host : Stale NFS file handle. unix: (file handle: 45ca415 3e7 a0000 2c7f6 3ebfc25f a0000 2 3e49) It is using sunOS 5.7. Is anybody know what is this error? Is is related to any network... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirWalker83
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Stale NFS file handle

There are a filesystem /GWD/appbase/projects/GRIDDB Under this filesystem there is a directory called backup. But When I am trying to access the backup directory ,it is showing me the following error: # cd /GWD/appbase/projects/GRIDDB # cd backup -bash: cd: backup: Stale NFS file handle ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphasahoo
3 Replies

5. Linux

NFS file handle question

Hello All, I have a small question regarding the NFS file handles. Suppose I have a NFS client who has requested for a particular file from the NFS server.Now lets assume that I am using a NFS v2 server. So I get the filehandle for that file and I can use it. Suppose later I upgrade the server to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathamesh
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PCC-F-NOERRFILE, unable to open error message file

Hi, I was compiling few C programs in the unix server and getting the following error message rm: /home/a0xxx28/AVT/SEEDLIBRARYDB/LIB/*.a non-existent proc MODE=ANSI CODE=ANSI_C INCLUDE=/home/a0xxx28/PVT/SEEDLIBRARYDB/INCLUDE INCLUDE=/home/a0xxx28/PVT/SEEDLIBRARY/INCLUDE ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error message when use fork with open file

I get this message when I write myshell.c program "VM pagefault:SIGSEGV bad add 0x0 err 0x4 nopage read myshell PM: ciredump signal 11 for 1725 /myshell memory fault (core dumped)" /* RCS information: $Id: myshell.c,v 1.2 2006/04/05 22:46:33 elm Exp $ */ #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rosecomp
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to decode nfs file handle in HP-UX?

Hi Experts, Any idea how to decode file handle in HP-UX? I am getting the following error continously in my HP-UX 11.31 box :mad: Apr 26 07:15:00 host62 su: + tty?? root-bb Apr 26 07:15:00 host62 su: + tty?? root-abcadm Apr 26 07:15:01 host62 vmunix: NFS write error on host peq9vs:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipinable
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is a file handle? for NFS troubleshooting stale issue.

Experts, Can any one please explain about a "File Handle" , what it is. Can we see it, like an inode number. - Also what is the significance of it in "Stale NFS file handle" error. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

10. Solaris

NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle - Solaris 10

Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host xyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: (file handle: 68000000 1bc5492e 20000000 377c5e 1ce9395c 720a6203 40000000 bdfb0400) Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: NFS write error on host zyz: Stale NFS file handle. Oct 13 12:19:15 xyz nfs: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies
nfs(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    nfs(7)

NAME
nfs, NFS - network file system DESCRIPTION
The Network File System (NFS) allows a client node to perform transparent file access over the network. By using NFS, a client node oper- ates on files residing on a variety of servers and server architectures, and across a variety of operating systems. File access calls on the client (such as read requests) are converted to NFS protocol requests and sent to the server system over the network. The server receives the request, performs the actual file system operation, and sends a response back to the client. NFS operates in a stateless manner using remote procedure calls (RPC) built on top of an external data representation (XDR) protocol. The RPC protocol enables version and authentication parameters to be exchanged for security over the network. A server grants access to a specific file system to clients by adding an entry for that file system to the server's file. A client gains access to that file system using the command to request a file handle for the file system (see mount(1M)). (A file handle is the means by which NFS identifies remote files.) Once a client mounts the file system, the server issues a file handle to the client for each file (or directory) the client accesses. If the file is removed on the server side, the file handle becomes stale (dissociated with a known file), and the server returns an error with set to A server can also be a client with respect to file systems it has mounted over the network; however, its clients cannot directly access those file systems. If a client attempts to mount a file system for which the server is an NFS client, the server returns with set to The client must mount the file system directly from the server on which the file system resides. The user ID and group ID mappings must be the same between client and server. However, the server maps UID 0 (the superuser) to UID -2 before performing access checks for a client. This process prevents gaining superuser privileges on remote file systems. RETURN VALUE
Generally, physical disk I/O errors detected at the server are returned to the client for action. If the server is down or inaccessible, the client receives the message: where is the hostname of the NFS server. The client continues resending the request until it receives an acknowledgement from the server. Therefore, the server can crash or power down, and come back up without any special action required by the client. The client process requesting the I/O will block, but remains sensitive to signals (unless mounted with the option) until the server recovers. However, if mounted with the option, the client process returns an error instead of waiting indefinitely. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
exportfs(1M), share(1M), mount(1M), mount_nfs(1M), nfsd(1M), mount(2), fstab(4), dfstab(4). nfs(7)