Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Restrict user access to their home dir Post 302140204 by rdns on Thursday 11th of October 2007 07:54:48 AM
Old 10-11-2007
Question Restrict user access to their home dir

Hi!
i'm using FreeBSD 6.2 and hosting my pc to frens
in particular of sensitive information being saved to the PC, i would like to know is it possible for me to restrict user access to their /home dir. only?
and also, i wanted to restrict them listing files under /etc

thanks all!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify user home dir

I created a new user and assigned a certain home dir to tis user. I've noticed that this home dir (/export/home/test) is already assigned to other users. I really want to create a dedicated home dir for the new user. Can anyone tell me how I can modify this user with a new homedir? Thx for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris_devis
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to restrict a user group to access the kernel

Hi, Please any one can help me to know that how we can restrict a user group to access the kernel at all. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishankar
0 Replies

3. Solaris

need to restrict user to his home dir

Hello, i need to create a user who's access is restricted only to his home directory and below, i restricted his pty access by adding 'no-pty' to the options of the ssh key in authorized_keys file. However, sftp access still allows this user access to all my file system thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lidram
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

restrict access of a user to two directories only

Hi all, I am using RHEL 5.0 I need a user say test to have full access to two directories, say /tmp1 & /tmp2 only other than his home directory. I do not want to change his login shell which is ksh or bash by default. Moreover, he should not even have read access of other directories. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restrict one user to see only his home directory in his profile

Hi I need to restrict one user to see only his home directory and one more directory how i can do this in his profile. The OS is Red hat linux I create a user -- tec and group calle --tec one the user log in he will see /home/tec and he need to see /opt/load this dirctory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboorkuma
6 Replies

6. Linux

SFTP user access restriction to his home dir

Hi Friends, I have installed a FTP Server on my Linux machine (Fedora 11). I want the ftp users to be restricted to their own home dir using sftp. But the said condition is met when the user logs in using ftp over port 21 and when the user logs in using sftp i.e. protocol 22, he/she has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pashy
4 Replies

7. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict user access.

Hi All, How can we restrict a particular user access to a particular shell in solaris 10. Thanks in Advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Restrict user access

Hi there I have an application user on my system that wants accesses to these file systems as such: rwx: /SAPO /SAPS12 /R3_888 /R3_888B /R3_888F /R3_888R r: /usr/sap these are the existing FS permissions:ownerships: # ls -ld /SAPO (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies
XPRINTF(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						XPRINTF(3)

NAME
asxprintf, dxprintf, fxprintf, sxprintf, xprintf, vasxprintf, vdxprintf, vfxprintf, vsxprintf, vxprintf -- extensible printf SYNOPSIS
#include <printf.h> int asxprintf(char ** restrict ret, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, ...); int dxprintf(int fd, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, ...); int fxprintf(FILE * restrict stream, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, ...); int sxprintf(char * restrict str, size_t size, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, ...); int xprintf(printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, ...); #include <stdarg.h> int vasxprintf(char ** restrict ret, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, va_list ap); int vdxprintf(int fd, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, va_list ap); int vfxprintf(FILE * restrict stream, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, va_list ap); int vsxprintf(char * restrict str, size_t size, printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, va_list ap); int vxprintf(printf_domain_t restrict domain, locale_t restrict loc, const char * restrict format, va_list ap); DESCRIPTION
These extensible printf (see xprintf(5)) variants behave like their normal printf counterparts (see printf(3)) without 'x' in the name (except sxprintf() and vsxprintf() behave like snprintf() and vsnprintf(), respectively). The domain argument must be a pointer to a printf domain structure, as returned by one of the functions described in xprintf_domain(3). The loc argument should be an extended locale (see xlocale(3)) or NULL, which means to use the current locale in effect (either the per-thread locale if set, or the global locale by default). SEE ALSO
printf(3), xlocale(3), xprintf_domain(3), xprintf(5) Darwin Aug 19, 2012 Darwin