Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting split the string "Setview: arv-temp-view" Post 302140135 by amitrajvarma on Thursday 11th of October 2007 02:52:17 AM
Old 10-11-2007
Question split the string "Setview: arv-temp-view"

Hi experts,

I would like to split the value of v and assign "arv-temp-view" to another variable d. I want to do it within shell script. My shell is "tcsh"

v="Setview: arv-temp-view"

split v and store

d=arv-temp-view

Please help

Thanks

Amit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Probably an easy SMIT question- "Unable to open temp file"

Hi All, Can't find any documentation on the web for this anywhere, except about three web pages that are in Chinese. When I enter SMIT on this box, I get ERROR MESSAGE: Unable to open temp file I suspected smit.log, but it is universal readable, writeable by root, and I am root.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input string="3MMTQSZ348GGMZRQWMJM4SD6M";output string="3MMTQ-SZ348-GGMZR-QWMJM-4SD6

input string="3MMTQSZ348GGMZRQWMJM4SD6M" output string="3MMTQ-SZ348-GGMZR-QWMJM-4SD6M" using linux shell script (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining 3 AWK scripts to avoid use "temp" files

Hi everyone, Looking for a suggestion to improve the below script in which I´ve been working. The thing is I have 3 separated AWK scripts that I need to apply over the inputfile, and for scripts (2) and (3) I have to use a "temp" file as their inputfile (inputfile_temp and inputfile_temp1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need HELP with AWK split. Need to check for "special characters" in string before splitting the file

Hi Experts. I'm stuck with the below AWK code where i'm trying to move the records containing any special characters in the last field to a bad file. awk -F, '{if ($NF ~ /^|^/) print >"goodfile";else print >"badfile"}' filename sample data 1,abc,def,1234,A * 2,bed,dec,342,* A ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with "[" and "]" and "dot" within the search string

Hello. Following recommendations for one of my threads, this is working perfectly : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text 1" -e "some text 2" -e "some text 3" "/tmp/log_file.txt" ) Now I need a grep success for some thing like : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the "temp files" in my script?

Hi ! :) I noticed that I create often of temporary files to keep character strings or other and I wish to avoid that if possible ? e.g : #!/bin/bash CONFIG_FILE="conf.cfg" TEMP_HOSTNAME="temp_file1.txt" for IP in `egrep -o '({1,3}\.){3}{1,3}' $CONFIG_FILE` do ssh "$IP"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] template DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes the given file name template and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with at least 6 of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp testing roughly 26 ** 6 combinations. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp utility exits with a value of 0 on success, and 1 on failure. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/$0.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/$0.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi Note that one can also check to see that $TMPFILE is zero length instead of checking $?. This would allow the check to be done later one in the script (since $? would get clobbered by the next shell command). SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3), mktemp(3) HISTORY
The mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD. BSD
November, 20, 1996 BSD