Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Problem with a Network Interface Post 302139904 by porter on Tuesday 9th of October 2007 09:26:53 PM
Old 10-09-2007
One option is to force AIX to reconfigure itself by switching off, unplugging the fiber card and rebooting AIX. You may have to check documentation to find out how to get AIX to rebuild it's view of the actual available devices. Mine has previously done this on a simple reboot.

On removal of the card, AIX should deconfigure the devices, so have a good look and note all the devices associated with the card. When you reboot after removing, see if those devices have been deleted.

Then recycle the machine a couple of times to confirm the machine is happy, then shutdown, reinstall the card and see if it is recognized by the OS and reconfigures itself.

Make a note of any alerts/warning that get printed out on reboot and follow any instructions given.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

network interface problem

Hi expert, Need some help on network interface issue.. I have added 2 x NIC card onto the Ultra 2 system recently and configured as hme1 and hme2. I have unconfigured the onboard hme0 network interface and it was running fine till few days later, i keep recieving error messages showing hme0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc2005
6 Replies

2. Solaris

network interface problem solaris 2.5

Hi guys, Hope somebody can help me on this. I have a Sun Sparc 20 workstation and it has a boot problem. During boot, an error message " ifconfig:socket: Bad File Number" come up and the workstation hang (cannot boot). I did boot -s and checked using ifconfig -a command but i got the same... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kroegand
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multi Network card interface problem

My system info is show below:- #uname -a SunOS qfserver 5.8 Generic_117350-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-2500 and I have two network card as shown below:- #ifconfig -a lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 bge0:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarifudin
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Network interface problem

Hi i have replace a NIC card on solaris 10 when i give the following command ifconfig -a it just show the lo0 (only loop back with inet 127.0.0.1) when i give the following command to config the interface, ifconfig elxl0 plumb ifconfig: plumb: elxl0: no such interface please help... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
11 Replies

5. Solaris

Network interface problem

HI, genunix: NOTICE: ce0: xcvr addr:0x01 - link up 100 Mbps half duplex genunix: WARNING: ce0: fault detected external to device; service degraded genunix: WARNING: ce0: xcvr addr:0x01 - link down genunix: NOTICE: ce0: fault cleared external to device; service available genunix: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
4 Replies

6. Solaris

configure zones to have different network interface and network

i need to configure a zone to use different interface (bge2) than global and have connected to completely different network switch & to use its own defaultrouter and hosts file .. is it possible ..if so ..how ? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
9 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Access to network interface (Mac-network)

Hi, I'm a italian student. For my thesis I develop a gateway with protocol 6lowpan. For that I must access to network interface to develope my personal stack based on standard 802.15.4. Can you help me? I need an explanation for that. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: berny88
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

Network interface-

Hello, Please what's the difference between: AND Thank you so much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
3 Replies

9. Solaris

No network cable But Network interface is UP and Running

I've one Netra 240 After changing main board and system configuration card reader, Network is not accessible any more, Network interfaces are always UP and Running even when there is no cable connected to Network interfaces. I tried to restart and plumb/unplumb with no luck. ifconfig -a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a network interface to a bonded interface

I have a RHEL 5 system with a bonded interface configure using only one network port (eth0). So I have config file for ifcfg-bond0 and ifcfg-eth. I'd like to configure eth5 to be the second SLAVE in the bond. My question is, after I modify ifcfg-eth5, can I add eth5 to the bond0 interface without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
1 Replies
USERNETCTL(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     USERNETCTL(8)

NAME
usernetctl - allow a user to manipulate a network interface if permitted SYNOPSIS
usernetctl interface-name up|down|report DESCRIPTION
usernetctl checks to see if users are allowed to manipulate the network interface specified by interface-name, and then tries to bring the network interface up or down, if up or down was specified on the command line, or returns true or false status (respectively) if the report option was specified. usernetctl is not really meant to be called directly by users, though it currently works fine that way. It is used as a wrapper by the ifup and ifdown scripts, so that users can do exactly the same thing as root: ifup interface-name ifdown interface-name and ifup and ifdown will call usernetctl automatically to allow the interface status change. OPTIONS
interface-name The name of the network interface to check; for example, "ppp0". For backwards compatibility, "ifcfg-ppp0" and "/etc/sysconfig/net- work-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0" are also supported. up|down Attempt to bring the interface up or down. report Report on whether users can bring the interface up or down. NOTES
Alternate device configurations may inherit the default configuration's permissions. RHS
Red Hat, Inc. USERNETCTL(8)