Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Workgroup of local machine
Special Forums IP Networking Workgroup of local machine Post 302139815 by mtx on Tuesday 9th of October 2007 10:52:03 AM
Old 10-09-2007
Unix AFAIK works with hostnames and domains.
To find the domain from which you are part of you can use:
Code:
$ hostname

from hostname(1) manpage:
Quote:
Options:

-s Trim off any domain information from the printed name.
This command works on FreeBSD but i suppose it should work on other systems too.

all the best,
v

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

retrieve IP of local machine

Hi all, I am writing a program to retrieve the IP address or machine name of the local machine using C. Is there any C function that does this? ny clue will be of gr8 help!!! thanx a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mridula
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing shell script on local machine

Hi guys, I need to run and test some shell script. At work, i work on ksh. I don't have any such software/client installed at home and i cannot always connect to work from home. At home i have Windows Vista. Is there a free and reliable software where i can run my ksh script? Please let me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using local variable on a remote machine

Hi, I'm writing a korn shell script where the user enters a variable and I have to create a directory remotely which contains the name of that variable. Example. print 'Please enter variable:' read variable ssh user@host 'mkdir before_$variable;' Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jangozo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to transfer files from unix machine to local machine using shell script?

Hi All.. Am new to Unix!! Am creating a shell script in which a scenario is like i have transfer the output file from unix machine (Server) to local directory (Windows xp). And also i have to transfer the input file from the local directory to Unix machine (Server) Any help from you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Copying from server to a local machine

Hi, I am trying to copy a file from oracle home on a unix platform to my local machine. I think i can use ftp but i am not sure of the exact syntax and way i should write this. Can someone help please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP While transfering files to local machine to remote machine

Hi Am using unix Ksh Am getting the problem while transferring zero size files through the script . When i transfer zero size files from local machine to remote machine manually i can able to do it . My question its beause of zero size files am not able to transfer through script ? or its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To run a local shell script in a remote machine by passing arguments to the local shell script

I need to run a local shell script on a remote machine. I am able to achieve that by executing the command > ssh -qtt user@host < test.sh However, when I try to pass arguments to test.sh it fails. Any pointers would be appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

iptables applied in local machine, can't ssh remote machine after chain changed to DROP

I want to SSH to 192.168.1.15 Server from my machine, my ip was 192.168.1.99 Source Destination was UP, with IP 192.168.1.15. This is LAN Network there are 30 Machine's Connected to the network and working fine, I'm Playing around the local machine's because I need to apply the same rules in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with fetching the data from remote machine from my jumpbox(local machine)

Team, Presently i am running a script from my local box(i.e jumpbox) to all the remote machines.Basically fetching basic queries like pwd,mkdir,touch etc and i am able to successfully fetch it from my local machine.But when i want to check certain database related queries like the dbstat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
20 Replies
DOMAIN(8)                                                   InterNetNews Documentation                                                   DOMAIN(8)

NAME
domain - nnrpd domain resolver SYNOPSIS
domain domainname DESCRIPTION
This program can be used in readers.conf to grant access based on the subdomain part of the remote hostname. In particular, it only returns success if the remote hostname ends in domainname. (A leading dot on domainname is optional; even without it, the argument must match on dot-separated boundaries). The "username" returned is whatever initial part of the remote hostname remains after domainname is removed. It is an error if there is no initial part (that is, if the remote hostname is exactly the specified domainname). EXAMPLE
The following readers.conf(5) fragment grants access to hosts with internal domain names: auth internal { res: "domain .internal" default-domain: "example.com" } access internal { users: "*@example.com" newsgroups: example.* } Access is granted to the example.* groups for all connections from hosts that resolve to hostnames ending in ".internal"; a connection from "foo.internal" would match access groups as "foo@example.com". BUGS
It seems the code does not confirm that the matching part is actually at the end of the remote hostname (e.g., "domain: example.com" would match the remote host "foo.example.com.org" by ignoring the trailing ".org" part). Does this resolver actually provide any useful functionality not available by using wildcards in the readers.conf(5) hosts parameter? If so, the example above should reflect this functionality. HISTORY
This documentation was written by Jeffrey M. Vinocur <jeff@litech.org>. $Id: domain.pod 8200 2008-11-30 13:31:30Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
nnrpd(8), readers.conf(5) INN 2.5.3 2009-05-21 DOMAIN(8)