Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to find the number of files Post 302139801 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 9th of October 2007 09:09:39 AM
Old 10-09-2007
Code:
ls -lrt a/d/e/*.dat | awk 'END{print}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to find the number of files

awk script to find the number of files in a directory with their date less than 15-oct-2006 please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uni_ajay_r
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to find the average number or files?

Anyone has a script or command in UNIX that can take 4 to five different numbers and calculate the average? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to do a find number of files in awk

Hi, How can i able to do a similar operation to "find" number of files in a folder in an awk? In bash, we could do easily using "find" command. But currently, I am having an awk block and i wanted to extract these information. Please advise. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using find with prune on large number of files

Hi all; I'm having a problem when want to list a large number of files in current directory using find together with the prune option. First i used this command but it list all the files including those in sub directories: find . -name "*.dat" | xargs ls -ltr Then i modified the command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashikin_8119
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the user with less number of files in the system

Good morning everybody, I'm using Minix and I want to find the user with less number of files in the system I have tried this solution: #! /bin/sh indice=0 listaCut=$(cut -f 3 -d : /etc/passwd) for USER in $listaCut; do cont=0 listaFind=$(find / -user "${USER}" -type -f) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i find number of lines in files & subdirectories

how can i find number of lines in files & subdirectories ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the number of files older than 1 day from a dir

Hello All, I need to write a script/command which can find out the number of .csv files residing in a directory older than 1 day. The output should come with datewise (means for each date how many files are there). I've this command, but this command gives the total number of files. It's... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using find in a directory containing large number of files

Hi All, I have searched this forum for related posts but could not find one that fits mine. I have a shell script which removes all the XML tags including the text inside the tags from some 4 million XML files. The shell script looks like this (MODIFIED): find . "*.xml" -print | while read... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to find the number of files and identify which ones are 0 bytes.

I am writing a bash script to find out all the files in a directory which are empty. I am running into multiple issues. I will really appreciate if someone can please help me. #!/bin/bash DATE=$(date +%m%d%y) TIME=$(date +%H%M) DIR="/home/statsetl/input/civil/test" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monasharma13
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies
FINDRULE(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      FINDRULE(1p)

NAME
findrule - command line wrapper to File::Find::Rule USAGE
findrule [path...] [expression] DESCRIPTION
"findrule" mostly borrows the interface from GNU find(1) to provide a command-line interface onto the File::Find::Rule heirarchy of modules. The syntax for expressions is the rule name, preceded by a dash, followed by an optional argument. If the argument is an opening parenthesis it is taken as a list of arguments, terminated by a closing parenthesis. Some examples: find -file -name ( foo bar ) files named "foo" or "bar", below the current directory. find -file -name foo -bar files named "foo", that have pubs (for this is what our ficticious "bar" clause specifies), below the current directory. find -file -name ( -bar ) files named "-bar", below the current directory. In this case if we'd have omitted the parenthesis it would have parsed as a call to name with no arguments, followed by a call to -bar. Supported switches I'm very slack. Please consult the File::Find::Rule manpage for now, and prepend - to the commands that you want. Extra bonus switches findrule automatically loads all of your installed File::Find::Rule::* extension modules, so check the documentation to see what those would be. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> from a suggestion by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.12.4 2011-09-19 FINDRULE(1p)