Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Curious?
Operating Systems Linux Curious? Post 302139490 by porter on Sunday 7th of October 2007 03:40:13 PM
Old 10-07-2007
Can you provide some context? I can't tell what you are talking about.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just curious, does Unix stand for anything?

If not, where did the name come from? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pudad
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Curious

Dear All I am curious to know, that in a system compromise, when someone has access to a box, does that individual have access to a shell on the system, i.e. the person is logging into the system using telnet or SSH to remotely access the box?? How does this individual/ hacker access the system. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Curious Dummy

I have a website but I do not for the life of me know how to upload using unix based command lines. Can someone send me a good site that has these commands. That and I am curious to know more about command line based interfacing. :D Curious Dummy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highway39
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Curious 'ls' Issue

Hi, I am seeing a curious issue with 'ls' command. If I open a telnet session of my Solaris box and give "ls". The output is in 3 columns. a b c d e f g h i j k l However, if I give the same command after a couple of hours in the same window, it goes to 6 columns according to the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

curious

sorry, just simple question: how can i do this in bash> foreach i( 1 2 3 ) sed 's/Hello/Howdy/g' test$i > test$i.new mv test$i.new test$i end (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurosaki
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Curious about the -9

I was talking to a coworker and we got into a discussion about the -9. No one knew where the -9 came from and it's not in the man. I suggested that it was like counting to 10 (0-9) and you finally get to the point that that's it, the durned thing is going to die. So how did the -9 come to mean... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pflickner
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curious

I dont get something about sed If i have a text file inside contain a:a:a:a:a sed "s/"$title:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/"$Ntitle:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/" This work!! but If i have a text file inside contain Tom Tom:La La:Di Di :Do Do :De DE It cannot work... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GQiang
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two curious questions

Hi, I have been thinking about a few things that I have no idea of how to do with a scripting language (awk/sed I know to make proper use of just these 2). 1. Is there a way to have persistent variables? Say a variable that will be held in memory, and which can be accessed by subsequent... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
7 Replies
CONTEXT(3PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4						     CONTEXT(3PVM)

NAME
pvm_newcontext - Request new context. pvm_setcontext - Change context. pvm_freecontext - Free existing context. pvm_getcontext - Get current context. SYNOPSIS
C int ctx = pvm_newcontext( void ) int old_ctx = pvm_setcontext( int new_ctx ) int info = pvm_freecontext( ctx ) int ctx = pvm_getcontext( void ) Fortran call pvmfnewcontext( ctx ) call pvmfsetcontext( new_ctx, old_ctx ) call pvmffreecontext( ctx, info ) call pvmfgetcontext( ctx ) PARAMETERS
ctx Context value. new_ctx New context value. old_ctx Prior context value. info Result code. DESCRIPTION
The context functions provide a system-wide unique context and the means to manipulate this context. Contexts provide the ability for communicating tasks to automatically differentiate messages by the context in which they were sent. Thus a message sent in context A by the sender must be received in context A by the recipient. A sender may send in any context. However, a recipient will not accept a message sent in a context that differs from its own. One such use of contexts is with library routines. Using contexts, library routine inter-communication may be logically seperated from the user's application inter-communication. This will prevent the inadvertent receipt of one another's messages. Spawned tasks inherit the spawn-time context of their parent. Existing PVM applications work unchanged using the default context. pvm_newcontext returns a newly allocated context. However, this new context is not yet active. pvm_setcontext changes the current context from old_ctx to new_ctx. pvm_freecontext frees ctx so that it may be reused. Contexts are a system resource that will be exhausted if not recycled. pvm_getcontext returns the current context of the requesting task. EXAMPLES
/* parent task with context */ int cc, context0, context1; char buf[25]; context0 = pvm_getcontext(); /* get my current context */ context1 = pvm_newcontext(); /* get a new context */ pvm_setcontext(context1); /* set my context to new context */ printf("My context is: %d", context1); pvm_spawn("child", (char**)0, PvmTaskDefault, "", 1, &tid); cc = pvm_recv(-1, -1); /* receive message from child - in context1 */ pvm_upkstr(buf); printf("%s", buf); pvm_setcontext(context0); /* reset my context to my original context0 */ /* child task with context - child inherits parent's context as default */ int context; int ptid; char buf[25]; ptid = pvm_parent(); context = pvm_getcontext(); /* get my current context */ sprintf(buf, "Greetings from child who's context is: %d.", context); pvm_initsend(PvmDataDefault); pvm_pkstr(buf); pvm_send(ptid, 1); ERRORS
Only system resource errors will be returned as the context programs themselves do not generate errors. SEE ALSO
8 April, 1997 CONTEXT(3PVM)