Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl scalar variable in backquoted string Post 302139194 by cbkihong on Thursday 4th of October 2007 09:49:49 PM
Old 10-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdi9
ok so I tried the echo function:

Code:
`echo my variable $myvar >> $tempfile`;

The documentation says:

Quote:
A string which is (possibly) interpolated and then executed as a system command with /bin/sh or its equivalent. Shell wildcards, pipes, and redirections will be honored. The collected standard output of the command is returned; standard error is unaffected.
So the output will not be automatically printed. You have to print() it.

For the rest of your question, I do not quite understand the exact question you have. I have tried executing ls -l with wildcards with backticks but it is working. Please consider rephrasing your question and give us further elaborations.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query string assingment for other variable in PERL

Hi friends, I want to use query string value to another variable but it gives following error when I use it with print out command, Insecure dependency in open while running with -T switch at C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/cgi-bin/cdr_findere.pl line 119. My code as follows, my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maheshsri
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't modify not in scalar assignment compilation error

My perl code is below. Its just a simple assignment and printing out of the value. $match = "my name is"; print "printing $match\n" ; Does anyone know where is the error? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scalar variable assignment in perl + { operator

When reading over some perl code in a software document, I came across an assignment statement like this $PATH = ${PROJECT}/......./.... In this particular form of scalar variable assignment, what does the curly braces operators do ? Also, what is the benefit in doing scalar assignment this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Scalar i500 can see tape drives but not autochanger

We have a new i500 and have 4 TLO4 drives which are connected directly to 2 FC cards on the host. The host can communicate with the autochanger through whichever drive that is set as control path. When I run inquire, all 4 drives are listed but auto changer doesn't show up. Does anyone know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tecky
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl DBI: populate a scalar from a select statement

hi every resource i see regarding DBI refers to retrieving data from a database into and array or a hash, but i havent seen anything on how to pull out a single value to a scalar in my database i have a field called "forcewrite" with a value of "6". I am trying to connect to the database,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with KSH script using scalar variable

Hi Guys, I'm having a hard time bringing out my desired output from my korn shell script. This particular statement from my script its seems not working perl -ne 'print if $_ lt ${date1}' . My complete script as shown below. Please help. Code: #!/usr/bin/ksh ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorneri
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable to numeric conversion in perl

Hi guys I am having this strange issue.Well my requirement is like below Compare two values between flat file and oracle DB Via perl script I am easily getting the rowcount Now I connect sql plus via perl and the column value that returns is string my $sqlplus_settings = ''; my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : pattern matching a string stored in a variable

I have two variables, my $filename = "abc_yyyy_mm_dd.txt"; my $filename1 = " abc_2011_11_07.txt"; I need to perform some operations after checking if $filename has $filename1 in it i have used the below code, if($filename =~ /^$filename1/) { ---- -- } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : converting file to different scalar elements

I have a text file containing 2 exec statements as below and trying to store the below 2 execs into 2 different scalar variables in perl. /* ICD Dist, Total */ /* need to export to Excel, sheet=ICD_Dist__Total */ exec( 'select sum(count(*)) cast(count(*)*100.0/sum(count(*)) over() as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string variable is a subset of another string variable

Below is my ksh shell script where I need to check if variable fileprops is a subset of $1 argument. echo "FILE PROPERTY: $fileprops" echo "PARAMETER3: $1" if ; then echo "We are Good. $line FILE is found to be INTACT !! " else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question class SYNOPSIS
"use Net::DNS::Question" DESCRIPTION
A "Net::DNS::Question" object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = Net::DNS::Question->new("example.com", "MX", "IN"); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. qname, zname print "qname = ", $question->qname, " "; print "zname = ", $question->zname, " "; Returns the domain name. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zname" and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype print "qtype = ", $question->qtype, " "; print "ztype = ", $question->ztype, " "; Returns the record type. In dymamic update packets, this field is known as "ztype" and refers to the zone type (must be SOA). qclass, zclass print "qclass = ", $question->qclass, " "; print "zclass = ", $question->zclass, " "; Returns the record class. In dynamic update packets, this field is known as "zclass" and refers to the zone's class. print $question->print; Prints the question record on the standard output. string print $qr->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. data $qdata = $question->data($packet, $offset); Returns the question record in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet. Arguments are a "Net::DNS::Packet" object and the offset within that packet's data where the "Net::DNS::Question" record is to be stored. This information is necessary for using compressed domain names. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl(1), Net::DNS, Net::DNS::Resolver, Net::DNS::Packet, Net::DNS::Update, Net::DNS::Header, Net::DNS::RR, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.8.0 2002-10-12 Net::DNS::Question(3)