Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ksh script - Design ? - Search file and set variables Post 302139142 by littlefrog on Thursday 4th of October 2007 11:33:11 AM
Old 10-04-2007
Yea!!!!!

Works like a charm - Thanks!!

PS: Any recommendations for a good scripting (ksh) book / tool to really learn how to script? I have been reading 'learning the korn shell - oreilly'.

Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a variables value from the called script to calling script using ksh

How do i get the value of the variable from the called script(script2) to the calling script(script1) in ksh ? I've given portion of the script here to explain the problem. Portion of Script 1 ============= ----- ----- tmp=`a.ksh p1 p2 p3` if then # error processing fi -----... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajarkumar
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script eval(?) to set variable

first of all, thanks to all on this board, it has been a huge resource to answer most of my questions! I am stuck on something that should really be simple, and was looking for some help.. I am using KSH on solaris and working on a script to move containers from server to server. Where i am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tksol
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set variables in Linux script

Hi, I am pretty new in writing shell script on LINUX, I tried to write the script just like KSH on HP unix but it seems nothing is working. Even assigning variables seems to be not working as KSH on HP unix. Please help in resolving the issues I am facing on LINUX. I have declared variables for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smr.ryl
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set variables from file, then loop

Hello, I am very, very new to shell scripting, but what I'm attempting to do is read in a list of user ID's to create on a database system from a CSV flat file, and for each entry run the "create user" script. I've gotten pretty far but I'm having trouble with the looping mechanism.... Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkarren
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

set ksh script in restricted mode

Hi, I came across a post wherein you can use "set -r"(on bash) to activate restricted mode ( wherein you cant run some commands such as cd etc). Can anyone guide if we have anything similar in ksh ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with shell script to search and replace a set of strings among the set of files

Hi, I am looking for a shell script which serves the below purpose. Please find below the algorithm for the same and any help on this would be highly appreciated. 1)set of strings need to be replaced among set of files(directory may contain different types of files) 2)It should search for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amulya
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning multiple variables in ksh script

Is it possible to have a user input multiple words in one line and have the script assign each word a variable? I'm stuck please assist. Example using "BILL JOHN SARA JILL" as what the user could type: printf "Enter account names: " BILL JOHN SARA JILL read input (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
9 Replies

8. Programming

[LUA] Set variables according to if file exists

Heya I'm using Awesome WM with the Vicious widget library. As i'm using multi boot, Win8, Fedora and Arch, i have my WM-Config shared accross my GNU/Linux installations. The regarding snippet: -- Functions -- Its just a workaround for an 'unstable' 'hwmon/hwmon' definition of Fedora21 -... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

<< Environmental Variables are not set when script completes >>

Hi Team, I have a wrapper script which i have pasted below, it internally calls one python script to generate Environmental in a file called /home/oracle/myenv.sh, when i execute this script via wrapper script, its not reflecting in my current session, still showing old env variables. any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
2 Replies
USE(1)								   User Commands							    USE(1)

NAME
use - Frontend to the Usepackage Environment Manager SYNOPSIS
csh and derivatives: source /usr/share/usepackage/use.csh bourne shell and derivatives: source /usr/share/usepackage/use.bsh korn shell: . /usr/share/usepackage/use.ksh use [-vs] [-f file] package ... use -l DESCRIPTION
Usepackage is an environment management program. It is based on the principle of packages - collections of executables that share a common set of necessary environment variables, such as PATH, MANPATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH. For each given package, use sources the appropriate environment information into the current shell. The environment information is speci- fied in a configuration file, see usepackage(1). OPTIONS -v Output verbose information to the standard error stream. -s Silence warnings for un-matched packages. This is useful in a shell rc script when a package is known not to be available on all architectures that the shell is used on. -f file Specify an alternate initial configuration file. -l List available packages and groups. FILES
/usr/share/usepackage/usepackage.conf The default configuration file. /usr/share/usepackage/use.csh Shell setup for csh and derivatives. /usr/share/usepackage/use.bsh Shell setup for bourne shell and derivatives. /usr/share/usepackage/use.ksh Shell setup for ksh. /usr/bin/usepackage The underlying Usepackage executable. ENVIRONMENT
Other than the reading and re-definition of environment variables for package setup, use also uses the following environment variables for user configuration: PACKAGES_PATH Colon-separated path list giving the directories to search for configuration files. Shell-style tilde (~) user-directory escapes are expanded. HOME If present in the environment, this is used to provide the expansion for the tilde (~) user-directory. SHELL If present in the environment, the last path component of this is used for shell matching (see SYNTAX) and detecting the style of environment output that should be used, see usepackage(1). COPYRIGHT
Usepackage Environment Manager Copyright (C) 1995-2005 Jonathan Hogg This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA SEE ALSO
usepackage(1), csh(1), sh(1), ksh(1) Usepackage $Date: 2005/12/11 16:42:09 $ USE(1)