Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Deleting Junks at the end of each line in a file Post 302138997 by porter on Thursday 4th of October 2007 03:30:15 AM
Old 10-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_nithis
Junk - As I said unwanted characters including backslash
We don't know what you don't want, do you mean all non numeric characters?

Is it always a single character at the end?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting UNIX End of Line Chachracter \000

Hi, I have this file which has some octal NULL characters (\000). I need to replace these characters with an ASCII NULL. I've tried using Perl, the UNIX tr command.. History of this I received a COBOL generated file, ran the od command to convert to a xxx byte per record file. Now,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uchachra
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting end line spaces for along file

How can i clear all space characteres for a long file at the end of each line? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting end of line $ character in file

Hi, I've got a file where in the middle of the record is a $ end of line character, visible only when I open the file in vi and do :set list. How to I get rid of the character in the middle and keep it at the end. The middle $ character always appears after SW, so that can be used to tag it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwrynz1
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting word from this point to end of file in VI

Hi All i need to delete a recurring word from point "n" till end of the file. there are other words in this file so i cannot use `dG`, can anyone help me out? Kind regards Brian (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting the lines at the end of the file.

I have a text file with two coulmn first column is just used in to show the line number, these line number are not there in the real file. I want to delete the line 16(in this file) here, even tough there is no data inside it . this empty line is causing me a problem by throwing me garbage... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank lines ONLY at the end of the file

Hi Guys, I have a quetion which was already discussed in the forum, but for some reason all approches suggested fail for me. I have a file which have blank lines at the body of the text as well as at the end. I need to delete ONLY blank lines at the end. Unfortunatly the approach below does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting the part of the file(overwrite) using start and end point

here is the contents of bigfile.sql CREATE TABLE `Table11` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL , `entityName` enum('Lines','EndUsers') COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL, `parentAllianceMigrationProjectId` varchar(255) NOT NULL ) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=2000 DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
30 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tab/new line at the end of each line of a file

Hello Everyone, I need a help from experts of this community regarding one of the issue that I am facing with shell scripting. My requirement is to append char's at the end of each line of a file. The char that will be appended is variable and will be passed through command line. The... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav Das
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
Tcl_Backslash(3)                                              Tcl Library Procedures                                              Tcl_Backslash(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Backslash - parse a backslash sequence SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> char Tcl_Backslash(src, countPtr) ARGUMENTS
char *src (in) Pointer to a string starting with a backslash. int *countPtr (out) If countPtr is not NULL, *countPtr gets filled in with number of characters in the backslash sequence, includ- ing the backslash character. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The use of Tcl_Backslash is deprecated in favor of Tcl_UtfBackslash. This is a utility procedure provided for backwards compatibility with non-internationalized Tcl extensions. It parses a backslash sequence and returns the low byte of the Unicode character corresponding to the sequence. Tcl_Backslash modifies *countPtr to contain the number of characters in the backslash sequence. See the Tcl manual entry for information on the valid backslash sequences. All of the sequences described in the Tcl manual entry are sup- ported by Tcl_Backslash. SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), Tcl_UtfBackslash(3) KEYWORDS
backslash, parse Tcl 8.1 Tcl_Backslash(3)