Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Weird crontab problem
Operating Systems Solaris Weird crontab problem Post 302138837 by RobSand on Wednesday 3rd of October 2007 03:05:01 PM
Old 10-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
How are you changing it?

Are you using the "crontab" tool to update the table?
I am using: crontab -e sys

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird Problem???

I have a problem I don't understand... I am trying to declare a variable, and then output the results of that variable, couldn't be simpler #!/bin/ksh VAR='Oranges' if then echo "Found Lemons" elif then echo "Found Oranges" fi The output shouold clearly be "Found Oranges", but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

weird problem with removing files

I have a few files on my system named: -rw------- -rw-r----- -rw-rw--w- -rwxrw-r-x (Yes, it's really the name of the file, not the access permissions, they're 0 bytes large and all created at the same date/time). I've no idea how they got there but I don't seem to be able to delete them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird date difference problem

I am trying to find the difference in days between 2 dates. I have to extract the 1st date from a filename, which i did using the awk command. I have to compare this date to today's date and if the difference is greater than 30 days, do something, else do something else. This is what i wrote... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeraKh
22 Replies

4. HP-UX

Weird Issue with crontab.

Hello all, Normally I'm pretty comfortable with crontab, changing and updating (done it many-a-time). But in the last two days I've been pulling my hair out over the following... Details of OS: HP-UX mdirect B.11.23 U ia64 2587410573 unlimited-user license Issue: Execute a script (very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

weird script in crontab

Hello here's the first line's of the code that works perfect on command line but not as a crontab job ??? crontab: 15 * * * * /root/scripts/checkclamd_mem.shscript: #!/bin/bash # Checks Memory of the Clamav-daemon and it's .pid file # restarts if over the LIMIT. Starts if pid file not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nls mchn
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Really weird delete problem

Hi, I've Ubuntu 8.04, and it has some files that I just cannot delete. I've tried everything, inode, fsck etc. Here is what the ls -li outputs root@ubuntu:/home/luser/.local/share/Trash/files/junk# ls -l ls: cannot access TRUNK_: No such file or directory ls: cannot access 2006_output.mv:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
11 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

Weird dependency problem!

Hi, I want to install net-snmp-devel package but i have following dependecy problem. It's very odd, i don't get it. One of packages is depended on the other one, the other one is depended on the previous one as well. :S :S Could you help me please? Here are the steps: # ls -l total... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk weird problem.

awk 'BEGIN{print 1.2.3.4}' 1.20.30.4 Can anyone explain why has extra "0" in the IP address? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newoz
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control characters -weird problem

I am using Korn shell on Linux 2.6x platform , and I am suing the following code to capture the lines which contain CONTROL CHARACTERS in my file : awk '/]/ {print NR}' EROLLMENT_INPUT.txt The problem is that this code shows the file has control characters when the file is in folder A ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird awk problem

Hi, I have a simple awk script: BEGIN{} { $a=$2-$1; print $a } END{if(NR==0){ print "0" } } to which I provide the following input 2.9 14 22.2 27 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
4 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						      General Commands Manual							CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [ -u user ] file crontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
Crontab is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the allow file does not exist but the deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(8) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 29 December 1993 CRONTAB(1)