Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting why read line skips some lines... Post 302138797 by vino on Wednesday 3rd of October 2007 01:00:08 PM
Old 10-03-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon1
while read LINE
do
#install a pkg with the name extracted from this line
install_pkg name
done < fileWithPkgNamesToBeInstalled
Perhaps you could invoke install_pkg name as a background process and then 'wait' upon that to complete.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read lines till a blank line is encountered

Hi, I have reached at a specified offset from the start of file. My requirement is that I want to read only those lines, which have the string READ / ALTER / UPDATE. As soon as, none of these literals are found in the subsequent line, I want to stop reading. Is there any feature of grep which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabhsinha23
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file1 read line-per-line then grep -A 15 lines down in fileb

STEP 1 # Set variable FILE=/tmp/mainfile SEARCHFILE =/tmp/searchfile # THIS IS THE MAIN FILE. cat /tmp/mainfile Interface Ethernet0/0 "outside", is up, line protocol is up Hardware is i82546GB rev03, BW 100 Mbps Full-Duplex(Full-duplex), 100 Mbps(100 Mbps) MAC address... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: irongeekio
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote script skips "read" command

This script is supposed to display a file ( crontab ), ask the user if they wish to update the file, then it goes through an update routine. #!/bin/bash FILE=/etc/crontab tail -5 $FILE echo -n "Does crontab need updating" read HOURS ...routines ....etc... Runs locally... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Foreach loop that skips the header line of a file (csh)

Hello all, I'm working on a foreach loop to compare a couple sets of data. However, each datafile includes a header row. I'm wondering if it is possible to tell the foreach loop to skip the first line of data. I've been using the basic code as follows: foreach line ("`file.csv`") set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meteorologistks
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read one line file and separate into multiple lines

I have one long line text with semicolon used as separator between values in that line. Now, I want to separate the line into multiple line right after every 29th field. example input line: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erlanq
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

read one line file and separate into multiple lines

I have one long line text with semicolon used as separator between values in that line. Now, I want to separate the line into multiple line right after every 29th field. example input line: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erlanq
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line with particular number of lines

Hi all, I have a file sample.txt abc asd adf daf adw add adv wdf I want to control the number of lines to read Like if i give input as ./script_name 2 5 required output asd adf daf (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the file line by line and do something with lines

I have a file file_name_O.txt The file can have different number of other files names or nothing I will check cnt=`wc -l file_name_0.txt` if ;then exit 1 fi Now I have to start checking file names, i.e. read txt file line by line. If amount of ,lines equal 1, I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies
Tcl_DetachPids(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DetachPids(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DetachPids, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs, Tcl_WaitPid - manage child processes in background SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DetachPids(numPids, pidPtr) Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs() Tcl_Pid Tcl_WaitPid(pid, statusPtr, options) ARGUMENTS
int numPids (in) Number of process ids contained in the array pointed to by pidPtr. int *pidPtr (in) Address of array containing numPids process ids. Tcl_Pid pid (in) The id of the process (pipe) to wait for. int *statusPtr (out) The result of waiting on a process (pipe). Either 0 or ECHILD. int options (in) The options controlling the wait. WNOHANG specifies not to wait when checking the process. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DetachPids and Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs provide a mechanism for managing subprocesses that are running in background. These procedures are needed because the parent of a process must eventually invoke the waitpid kernel call (or one of a few other similar kernel calls) to wait for the child to exit. Until the parent waits for the child, the child's state cannot be completely reclaimed by the system. If a parent continually creates children and doesn't wait on them, the system's process table will eventually overflow, even if all the children have exited. Tcl_DetachPids may be called to ask Tcl to take responsibility for one or more processes whose process ids are contained in the pidPtr array passed as argument. The caller presumably has started these processes running in background and does not want to have to deal with them again. Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs invokes the waitpid kernel call on each of the background processes so that its state can be cleaned up if it has exited. If the process has not exited yet, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs does not wait for it to exit; it will check again the next time it is invoked. Tcl automatically calls Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs each time the exec command is executed, so in most cases it is not necessary for any code outside of Tcl to invoke Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs. However, if you call Tcl_DetachPids in situations where the exec command may never get executed, you may wish to call Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs from time to time so that background processes can be cleaned up. Tcl_WaitPid is a thin wrapper around the facilities provided by the operating system to wait on the end of a spawned process and to check a whether spawned process is still running. It is used by Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs and the channel system to portably access the operating sys- tem. KEYWORDS
background, child, detach, process, wait Tcl Tcl_DetachPids(3)