Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Traps and Interrupts
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Traps and Interrupts Post 302138566 by porter on Tuesday 2nd of October 2007 12:07:31 PM
Old 10-02-2007
The terminology changes between processors and operating systems, this is one interpretation:

1. an interrupt is a signal from a hardware device to a processor that some even has occured, this allows the processor to service the device, an example may be a serial port that generates an interrupt every time a character is received or it's transmit buffer is empty.

2. a trap is a mechanism to get from user space to system space, typically used in a protected operating system to transfer control from a user program to the kernel.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Does unix use interrupts?

I'm a freshman here and I have a simple question. Does unix use interrupts which is like Dos? Are they the same? Thx.:cool: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank_M
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

catching interrupts

hey i have been facing a problem,can you tell me if we can catch ctrl d in unix i have tried and sucessfully catched and disabled ctrl-c and ctrl -z but am not sure if we can do the same for CTRL-D, so got any clue mail on he forum or ...i mean c programming in Unix thats what i am working on (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: toughguy2handle
1 Replies

3. Solaris

SNMP traps

Hello I am trying to check that SNMP traps could be sent from one server to other . I am running this command from receiving server to see it can receive it /usr/sbin/snoop udp port 162 and on the sending end I am running this commad cst051 UDP D=162 S=1480 LEN=120 but i am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ajwat
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interrupts problems

Hi, My machine is a Unixware 7.1.3 is a files server, and I had never problem with that machine, but since two days, the machine presents slows problems, i think that the problem is te device interrupts, I had checked all and I dont found it any problem. Any idea? Thanks, (sorry my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about concept of Interrupts.

Hi all, I am new here ,i want to know about interrupts in detail.What r Interrupts .how they r handeled. Thanx in adavnce. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
1 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

SNMP Traps

Hi all, lately i managed to install SNMP agent on Solaris 9 & 10. The second objective is now to configure traps. However (since i'm totally new to the SUN world) i don't know a way of how to start. Can somebody help me with details? What is the first thing that you need to do to start trapping?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wizard_1979
3 Replies

7. Programming

SIGCHLD interrupts its own handler

Hi. I have a program whose job it is to manage 15 child processes. Sometimes these children die (sometimes deliberately other times with a SEGV). This causes a SIGCHLD to be sent to my program which uses waitpid() in the signal handler to gather information and, in most cases, restart the child.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrichemont
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SNMP Traps

Hi, We are using Zyrion Traverse to monitor all the servers. I like to set the traps on all of the Linux servers to send the traps to that servers. So for on the /etc/snmp/snmp.conf file, this is what I have... ### SNMP Traps ### trap2sink x.x.x.x # Traverse server My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

CPU - Interrupts distribution

Hi Gurus, I have a situation runing my ETL tools on the below server. The throughput while processing data is coming very low. When i tried to analyse the CPU stats i got colleceted the mpstat. Server Physical Host Name *********com IP**.***.** OS Type Linux OS Classlinux red hat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
3 Replies
SNMP_TRAP_API(3)						     Net-SNMP							  SNMP_TRAP_API(3)

NAME
send_easy_trap, send_trap_vars, send_v2trap - send TRAPs or INFORMs from a Net-SNMP MIB module SYNOPSIS
#include <net-snmp/agent/agent_trap.h> void send_easy_trap(int trap, int specific); void send_trap_vars(int trap, int specific, struct variable_list *vars); void send_v2trap(struct variable_list *vars); DESCRIPTION
These three routines may be used to send traps from a MIB module within the Net-SNMP agent (including an AgentX subagent). send_easy_trap() sends an SNMPv1 trap (or the SNMPv2 equivalent) to the list of configured trap destinations (or "sinks"), using the pro- vided values for the generic trap type, and specific trap value. send_trap_vars() is similar, but appends the supplied list of variable bindings to the traps that are sent. send_v2trap() uses the supplied list of variable bindings to form an SNMPv2 trap, which is sent to SNMPv2-capable sinks on the configured list. An equivalent INFORM is sent to the configuredq list of inform sinks. Sinks that can only handle SNMPv1 traps are skipped. The various "send_trap()" calls allow you to specify traps in different formats. And the various "trapsink" directives allow you to spec- ify destinations to receive different formats. But *all* traps are sent to *all* destinations, regardless of how they were specified. I.e. it's ___ trapsink / send_easy_trap ___ [ Trap ] ____ trap2sink ___ [ Generator ] send_v2trap / [ ] ----- informsink ____ trapsess *Not* send_easy_trap -------------------> trapsink send_v2trap -------------------> trap2sink ???? -------------------> informsink ???? -------------------> trapsess WARNINGS
These routines are used to send the traps immediately they are called. Invoking them at the appropriate time is left to the MIB module programmer. SEE ALSO
snmpd.conf(5), snmptrapd(8) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution 7 Mar 2002 SNMP_TRAP_API(3)