Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Traps and Interrupts
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Traps and Interrupts Post 302138566 by porter on Tuesday 2nd of October 2007 12:07:31 PM
Old 10-02-2007
The terminology changes between processors and operating systems, this is one interpretation:

1. an interrupt is a signal from a hardware device to a processor that some even has occured, this allows the processor to service the device, an example may be a serial port that generates an interrupt every time a character is received or it's transmit buffer is empty.

2. a trap is a mechanism to get from user space to system space, typically used in a protected operating system to transfer control from a user program to the kernel.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Does unix use interrupts?

I'm a freshman here and I have a simple question. Does unix use interrupts which is like Dos? Are they the same? Thx.:cool: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank_M
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

catching interrupts

hey i have been facing a problem,can you tell me if we can catch ctrl d in unix i have tried and sucessfully catched and disabled ctrl-c and ctrl -z but am not sure if we can do the same for CTRL-D, so got any clue mail on he forum or ...i mean c programming in Unix thats what i am working on (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: toughguy2handle
1 Replies

3. Solaris

SNMP traps

Hello I am trying to check that SNMP traps could be sent from one server to other . I am running this command from receiving server to see it can receive it /usr/sbin/snoop udp port 162 and on the sending end I am running this commad cst051 UDP D=162 S=1480 LEN=120 but i am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ajwat
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interrupts problems

Hi, My machine is a Unixware 7.1.3 is a files server, and I had never problem with that machine, but since two days, the machine presents slows problems, i think that the problem is te device interrupts, I had checked all and I dont found it any problem. Any idea? Thanks, (sorry my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about concept of Interrupts.

Hi all, I am new here ,i want to know about interrupts in detail.What r Interrupts .how they r handeled. Thanx in adavnce. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
1 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

SNMP Traps

Hi all, lately i managed to install SNMP agent on Solaris 9 & 10. The second objective is now to configure traps. However (since i'm totally new to the SUN world) i don't know a way of how to start. Can somebody help me with details? What is the first thing that you need to do to start trapping?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wizard_1979
3 Replies

7. Programming

SIGCHLD interrupts its own handler

Hi. I have a program whose job it is to manage 15 child processes. Sometimes these children die (sometimes deliberately other times with a SEGV). This causes a SIGCHLD to be sent to my program which uses waitpid() in the signal handler to gather information and, in most cases, restart the child.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrichemont
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SNMP Traps

Hi, We are using Zyrion Traverse to monitor all the servers. I like to set the traps on all of the Linux servers to send the traps to that servers. So for on the /etc/snmp/snmp.conf file, this is what I have... ### SNMP Traps ### trap2sink x.x.x.x # Traverse server My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

CPU - Interrupts distribution

Hi Gurus, I have a situation runing my ETL tools on the below server. The throughput while processing data is coming very low. When i tried to analyse the CPU stats i got colleceted the mpstat. Server Physical Host Name *********com IP**.***.** OS Type Linux OS Classlinux red hat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
3 Replies
sys_attrs_fta(5)						File Formats Manual						  sys_attrs_fta(5)

NAME
sys_attrs_fta - fta subsystem attributes DESCRIPTION
The fta (fta) kernel subsystem is used by the Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI) adapters. Refer to the sys_attrs(5) reference page for an introduction to the topic of kernel subsystem attributes. A value that enables (1) or disables (0) the awakening of a separate thread to handle interrupt service work. The processing of received frames or of completed transmits is typically performed by the driver's interrupt service routine. If minimal_isr is enabled, the interrupt service routine does not do the processing. Instead, it awakens another thread to do the pro- cessing. The benefit is that the new thread can run on any other processor, thereby freeing the master processor for other inter- rupt processing and other tasks. While this may improve overall system performance, there will be an increased latency in the pro- cessing of received FDDI frames. If minimal_isr is disabled, the interrupt service routine processes all received frames and completed transmits. This can delay the master processor from servicing other I/O interrupts and can lead to overall system performance degradation. However, the latency for handling received FDDI frames will be very low. Default value: 1 (enabled) SEE ALSO
sys_attrs(5) sys_attrs_fta(5)