Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Please help in ungzip a gzip archive Post 302138302 by porter on Monday 1st of October 2007 03:25:07 AM
Old 10-01-2007
how did you create this archive?

The commands you list don't make sense to me.

gzip
c to stdout
r recursive
f force compression
v verbose

I would have expected it to recursively compress each file in /u03 in situ, but perhaps the "c" option caused it to write those files to stdout, but without any tar encoding it's just a stream of ones and zeros.

rule zero for making a backup is

"confirm the backup contains what you expected it to".

Last edited by porter; 10-01-2007 at 04:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using gzip

Hi, I am trying to unzip a file that I unmounted onto a unix machine from a cd I had burned in a Windows machine. The file I am trying to unzip is a .tar file... it was originally a .tar.gz file because it was zipped using gzip. I have tried: % gzip -d hpux.tar (where hpux.tar is the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nattie_h
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GZIP help, please!

Gurus, My own stupidity (or ignorance...or both) put me in the situation I am in and I need help please: 1-My shell account (OS: HP UX v11) contains several work directories (/docs, /scripts...) 2-Our sysadmin has implemented aggressive disk quotas so I have to compress the files I put here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

3. SCO

gzip

ciao a tutti, premesso che sono un principiante di unix, avrei bisogno di gzip/gunzip e SOPRATTUTTO delle istruzioni (ahimè dettagliatissime, come per un bimbo!) per installarlo... grazie mille, ciao (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfran2002
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip

Hi All, I have some files which are 01.tar.gz, 02.tar.gz,03.tar.gz ........30.tar.gz. when I want to extract the files I 'm using this command "gzip -dc *.tar.gz | tar -xvf -" but it just uncompress 01.tar.gz how can I uncompress all of them ? thanx alice (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gzip help

Hi Experts!! I was creating a zip file in a server which had zip installed in it. I have another server in which zip is not there and i am instructed to make use of gzip to compress files. I would need your help to know the way to create a gzip file. 1) I do the following to create the zip... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip

Hi, I want to gzip files in loop. for i in `ls *.xml`; do gzip $i; done But i am gettin error like "/usr/bin/ls: Arg list too long" Also please tell me how to do it with while loop and also using find and then exec. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting from archive | compressing to new archive

Hi there, I have one huge archive (it's a system image). I need sometime to create smaller archives with only one or two file from my big archive. So I'm looking for a command that extracts files from an archive and pipe them to another one. I tried the following : tar -xzOf oldarchive.tgz... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip

how to zip all log file in a folder expect the latest gzip * ---> will zip all log files but I don't want the latest file to be zipped ex: file1, file2, file3, file4, file5 any single command to gzip all files excpet file5 ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmann
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to archive logs and sftp to another archive server

Requirement: Under fuse application we have placeholders called containers; Every container has their logs under: <container1>/data/log/fuse.log <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.1 <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.XX <container2>/data/log/fuse.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun Goswami
6 Replies
updadmin(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       updadmin(8)

NAME
updadmin - Invokes the Update Installation Cleanup utility to remove or archive backup files created by an Update Installation SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/updadmin DESCRIPTION
The updadmin command invokes the Update Administration Cleanup utility, which removes or archives the backup files that were created by an Update Installation process. There are no flags or options associated with this command. Running this utility is an optional step after performing an Update Installation, but it is recommended if you want to recover disk space being consumed by these backup files. The backup files that are created by an Update Installation have these extensions: *.PreMRG - A file saved to a extension is a backup copy of a customized protected system file. System files in this category are system files that are expected to be customized by users, for example, /etc/passwd and /etc/hosts. If the automatic merge process fails to merge the new version of the file with your customizations to the file, your customizations must be merged manually into the new version of the file when the Update Installation is complete. The *.PreMRG version is a copy of the file as it existed before the Update Installation and only will be present if the automatic merge fails. *.PreUPD - A file saved to a extension is a backup copy of a customized unprotected system file as it existed before the Update Installa- tion. System files in this category are system files that are not expected to be customized by users, for example, /usr/bin/X11/netscape. If an unprotected system file is altered in any way, customizations must be merged manually into the new version of the system file when the Update Installation is complete. When you are finished merging your customizations into the new version of the file, these backup files no longer are needed, and they can be removed or archived. The Update Installation Cleanup utility gives you the option to archive or remove all backup files, or to select only the files you want. You are prompted to enter an archive destination if you decide to archive the files. The Update Installation Cleanup utility uses the tar(1) command to create the archive, and the archive destination can be any archive des- tination supported by the tar command, including tape devices. The default archive location is the backup.tar file in the /var/adm/update/ directory. You can use any file name you want, but if you want the file to have a extension, you must enter it as part of the file name. If the file name exists, it is overwritten. You have the option to compress the archive file with the gzip utility; if you do, a extension is appended automatically. Unless you compress the archive file, the space savings realized by archiving to a tar file on disk will be only in moving the files from the / (root), /usr, or /var file systems to the file system containing the archive. To save disk space, archive the files to tape. To archive to a tape device in tar format, enter archive destinations similar to the following: /dev/tape/tape0c - archives to a default density rewind tape (with compression) /dev/ntape/tape0_d0 - archives to a nonrewind tape device 0. The _d0 suffix specifies the density. If you are archiving to a nonrewind tape device, it is recommended to use a brand new or erasable tape. On systems capable of graphical display, the updadmin command invokes a graphical user interface to the Update Installation Cleanup util- ity. On systems that are not capable of graphical displays, a text-based, menu-driven user interface is invoked. The Update Installation Cleanup utility is also available as a task from the SysMan Menu. To view the online help for the Update Installation Cleanup utility without running the utility, use the following command: # /usr/dt/bin/dthelpview -h /usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/updadmin.sdl RESTRICTIONS
You must have root privileges to use the Update Installation Cleanup utility. If your system has not been updated to the next version of the operating system by the Update Installation process, the Update Installation Cleanup utility cannot be invoked. FILES
Update Administration Cleanup utility Contains the online help for the Update Administration Cleanup utility. Default location of the ar- chive file SEE ALSO
Commands: tar(1), gzip(1), sysman(8), installupdate(8) Installation Guide updadmin(8)