Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: extracting a string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extracting a string Post 302138202 by reborg on Sunday 30th of September 2007 08:41:35 AM
Old 09-30-2007
Code:
awk 'BEGIN { FS=OFS="/" } { $1=$NF=""; print}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting from a string

How do I extract 5th to 10th characters of string as given below stored in a shell variable. "ab cd ef gh ij kl" How is cut to be used on this? Thanks for any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: preetikate
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting part of a string

Hi all, I have to extract only the second part of a database column (VARCHAR) and the value is seperated by a "~" xyz~ chxyz36r~ abder~000082685 mnops~000083554 fulfil302~00026 Above are some examples of the values and for each record I have to extract the value after "~" , if there is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a number from a string

Hi everyone, I have a string as follow ts1n65ulpa4096x16m16_130a_ss1p08v125c i would like to extract 4096 and 16 from string and save it into two variable. but this string could also have the form ts1n65ulpa32x16m16_130a_ss1p08v125c therefore the number before "x" could be 2 or 3 digits. i use... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting String

I am trying to extract a hyperlink from a html document using awk. I have managed to output in the format... href="index.html"> where i would like it just to output index.html. Any ideas on how i would do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adpe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting only numerals from string.

Hi!!! i have two files "tushar20090429200000.txt" and "tushar_err20090429200000.txt" The numeric part here is date and time. So this part of file keeps changing after every hour. I want to extract the numeric part from the both file names and compare them whether they are equal or not. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting particular string in a file and storing matched string in output file

Hi , I have input file and i want to extract below strings <msisdn xmlns="">0492001956</ msisdn> => numaber inside brackets <resCode>3000</resCode> => 3000 needs to be extracted <resMessage>Request time getBalances_PSM.c(37): d out</resMessage></ns2:getBalancesResponse> => the word... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushmab82
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on extracting portion of string

Hi Gurus, I've some sample of my log information as shown below. -> Processing ABCD123456 This is tp version 372.04.57 (release 700, unicode enabled) This is R3trans version 6.14 (release 700 - 05.03.09 - 08:28:00). unicode enabled version R3trans finished (0000). Warning: Parameter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the part of string

I have a string: 2015-04-16 07:30:05,625000 +0900 xxxx.com I just want to extract the time from the above line I am using the below syntax x=~ /(.*) (\d+)\:(\d+)\:(\d+),(.*)\.com/ $time = $2 . ':' . $3 . ':' . $4; print $time But it is not working. Can some1 please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karan8810
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
unp(1)							      General Commands Manual							    unp(1)

NAME
unp - a shell frontend for uncompressing/unpacking tools SYNOPSIS
unp [-u] file [ files ... ] [ -- backend args ... ] ucat file [ files ... ] unp is a small script with only one goal: Extract as many archives as possible, of any kind and from any path to the current directory, preserving the subdirectory structure where needed. Is a Do-What-I-Want utility and helps managing several extraction programs without looking for needed options for the particular tool or worrying about the installation of the needed program. Run unp without arguments to see the list of supported archive formats. The special version ucat acts as wrapper for commands that can output the extracted data to standard output, like bzip (bzcat), gzip (zcat), tar, zip and others. USAGE
unp extracts one or more files given as arguments on the command line. Additionally, it may pass some options to the backend tools (like tar options) when they are appended after `--'. There is also a special option (-u) which is very useful for extracting Debian packages. Using -u, unp extracts the package (i.e. the ar archive) first, then extracts data.tar.gz in the current directory and then control.tar.gz in control/<filename>/. NOTES
unp will try to decompress into a FILE.unp if it get trouble with existing files. But don't count on this feature, always look for free working space before using unp. Unlike gunzip, which decompresses the file in the target directory of the source file, unp uses the current directory for output. AUTHOR
Development started by Andre Karwath <andre.karwath@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> Now maintained and packaged for Debian by Eduard Bloch <blade@debian.org> 18 Feb 2001 unp(1)