Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to List and copy the files containing a string Post 302138053 by radoulov on Friday 28th of September 2007 11:03:35 AM
Old 09-28-2007
Cannot reproduce,
could you post the output (or part of it) of the grep -l command (is there any output?):

Code:
grep -l '1189609240791-1268115603299237276@216.109.111.119' *

What shell, what machine(OS)?

Last edited by radoulov; 09-28-2007 at 12:12 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy and rename list of files

Hi all, I am a newbie in writng unix..I am using ksh shell..Does anyone know how to copy a list o files from directory A to directory B with differnt names? i.e in Dir A, I have RPT101.555.TXT RPT102.666.TXT and I want to copy those files to dir B with new naming convention.. in Dir B,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinmak
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy string from files into new file

I'm trying to copy a string (myame@yahoo.com) from multiple files and save them to a new file. This is what's I've gathered so far: sed 's/string/g' file.txt > output.txt Not sure how to run this on multiple files and extract just the email address found in each file. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdell
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find list of files from a list and copy to a directory

I will be very grateful if someone can help me with bash shell script that does the following: I have a list of filenames: A01_155716 A05_155780 A07_155812 A09_155844 A11_155876 that are kept in different sub directories within my current directory. I want to find these files and copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy all files that ls -l list

Hi, I need to copy all files from this statement to another folder: ls –l ./apps | grep –E “^l|^v” How can i do that? best regards! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xus
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy list of files from a keyword list to another directory

Hello, I have a folder with a massive amount of files, and I want to copy out a specific subset of the files to a new directory. I would like to use a text file with the filenames listed, but can't get it to work. The thing I'm hung up on is that the folder names in the path can and do have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files to a dir using from a list

Hi all, I'd very grateful for some help with the following: I have a directory with several subdirectories with files in them. All files are named different, even between different subdirectories. I also have a list with some of those file names in a txt file (without the path, just the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: foracoffee
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string in files and list file names that contain the string

Hi, I have a list of zipped files. I want to grep for a string in all files and get a list of file names that contain the string. But without unzipping them before that, more like using something like gzcat. My OS is: SunOS test 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I'm trying 2 copy files after using the grep to get a list

for XmlFileName in ${xmlFileNames} do XmlFileName=$(echo $XmlFileName | sed 's|./||') # Remove leading ./ path that find command prefixes to filenames cp $XmlFileName $NEW_DIR/ done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emc^24sho
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy Files From a big list

Requirement: When I do ls -ltr /home/data/orders I get a huge list of files, I need to copy that last 50 to another directory say /home/work/ later, I will do my ETL process and then again I need to copy from 51 to 100 and so on. What is the command to copy files specifying 1 to 50... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD