Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to remove specific lines from a file Post 302137967 by bluemoon1 on Friday 28th of September 2007 01:15:39 AM
Old 09-28-2007
how to remove specific lines from a file

When restoring a file in my uninstall program I need to remove the lines I added to a file during the install. In between the file can be modified by the users.

Assume file1 is as follow:

xxx str2 xxxx
...The Following lines containing str* have to be removed...
xxx str1 xxxx
xxx str2 xxxxx
xxxx aaa, xxx
xxxxx str4 xxx

Result:
xxx str2 xxxx
xxxx aaa, xxx

I know how to remove the line "The Following lines containing str* ...":
ln=`grep -n 'The Following lines containing' | cut -d',' -f 1`
sed $lnd file1

I also know how to remove the lines with str* in it with awk:
awk 'BEGIN { FS=";" } { if ( $2 ~ /str*/ ) { print $0 } }' file1 > outputF

However, how to do this without removing the lines with str* before the line "The Following lines containing str* have to be removed" ? (the first line in file1 for example).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove specific lines from a file

Hi there I have a file with a variable amount of rows but the 45th, 46th and 47th charachter of each line is the status field which is a three digit code ie 001, 002, 003 etc. My question is this..I need to strip all the records/lines with 002's out of the file completely and put them into... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove specific lines from flat file using perl

Hi, Here is wat im looking for.. i have a flat file which looks like this.. 00 * * * * .. .. * * text text text COL1 COL2 ----- ----- 1 a (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: meghana
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the specific lines from file using perl

Can anyone tell me what could be the solution to following : I have one .txt file which contains some "seed" information. This seed may appear multiple time in the file so what I want do is if this seed appears again in the file then that line should be removed. Please provide the script code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipakg
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove specific lines from a file (reprise)

Hello, I've to change the shell in /etc/passwd for some users . I've the list of users but I'm not able to modify the file with scripting . I'm working on a Sol10 . Can anyone help me ? tnks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk to remove specific lines

I have searched the forum for this - forgive me if I missed a previous post. I have the following file: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah alter table "informix".esc_acct add constraint (foreign key (fi_id) references "informix".fi ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK to remove lines that matches a specific pattern

Hi, I have requirement that I need to split my input file into two files based on a search pattern "abc" For eg. my input file has below content abc defgh zyx I need file 1 with abc and file2 with defgh zyx I can use grep command to acheive this. But with grep I need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbhuvana20
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines in file if specific field matches

I am trying to remove lines in the target.txt file if $5 before the - in that file matches sorted_list. I have tried grep and awk. Thank you :). grep grep -v -F -f targets.bed sort_list grep -vFf sort_list targets awk awk -F, ' > FILENAME == ARGV {to_remove=1; next} > ! ($5 in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines matching a substring in a specific column

Dear group, I have following input text file: Brit 2016 11 18 12 00 10 1.485,00 EUR Brit 2016 11 18 12 00 10 142,64 EUR Brit 2016 11 18 12 00 10 19,80 EUR Brit 2016 11 18 12 00 10 545,00 EUR Brit 2016 11 18 12 00 10 6.450,00 EUR... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhsd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate consecutive lines with specific string

Hello, I'm trying to remove the duplicate consecutive lines with specific string "WARNING". File.txt abc; WARNING 2345 WARNING 2345 WARNING 2345 WARNING 2345 WARNING 2345 bcd; abc; 123 123 123 WARNING 1234 WARNING 2345 WARNING 2345 efgh; (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)