Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Command should return the each folder size on disc Post 302137883 by sysgate on Thursday 27th of September 2007 10:31:48 AM
Old 09-27-2007
Quote:
[root@t1000-1 /]# du -sh /opt/
6.5G /opt
Use the man pages for "du" depending on your version if the command above doesn't satisfy the requirement.
Edit : I'm sorry, the above posted snippet is from Solaris T1000. For AIX : du -sk

Last edited by sysgate; 09-27-2007 at 11:37 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit Folder Size

Is there a way to limit a certain folder size(e.g. Documents, Desktop)? :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tisdmin
2 Replies

2. AIX

Command should return the each folder size on disc

Hi, please know the command should return the each folder size on disc. I need only folder size not any file size. which option of "du" would help me? Shital (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdurukkar
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Ultra 10 - Copying Files From Disc After Booting Up With Recovery Disc?

Hello, I'm still learning unix and I have what is probably a simple question but I can't seem to find the question to. I have an Ultra 10 Sparc Server running solaris 8 and the drive may have crashed (I hope not). Currently, it appears some files in the /etc folder are missing. I have a backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ideffects
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

::select statement return value with correct field size::

Hi Everyone, I am facing a problem regarding the select from sybase, the return with the incorrect size. For example, field is NAME(20). After i selected from sybase, the result is nicky. after i assign it to another declaration variable, it will be in actual name "nicky" , what i need... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryanW
10 Replies

6. AIX

How to find the status of SAN Disc through command prompt

How to find the status of SAN Disc through command prompt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

size of a folder ?

hi, is possible to calculate the size of a folder using ls ? ls -s works only for files.. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am trying to get the total size of a folder?

I am trying to get the total size of the folder using the below command but its not working. any ideas? du -bc <foldername>/|grep total|tr -s " "|cut -d" " -f1 the output i am getting is 78996 total but i just want it to be as 78996 please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: classic
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Need to know the users folder size

Hi Forum, I need to know the size of some user home folders. I've exported an account list from an Active Directory and wrote it into a file like: user_1 user_2 user... user_n and tried "du -sh < filename", which doesn't work. Get no results. I don't need the size of all home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: borsti007
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting folder more than 100K size

Hi , I am trying to get the folder details having size more than sme specified value and also the name of the folder should be like TEST. so 1. In the current directory search for all the folders having name like TEST 2. Print the list of the folder names having size more than 100... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)