Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Career Path
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Unix Career Path Post 302137763 by NycUnxer on Wednesday 26th of September 2007 06:44:29 PM
Old 09-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
Yes, but ideally not on the post mortem slab! This is an area where you need to be ahead of the game and able to foresee problems. You don't want to be reading tons of man pages at 2am in the morning trying to work out why your company's data disappeared.
Well, its just test development scripting I would be doing now. They mentioned they understand this would be a junior role, but nonetheless in the beginning it would be alot of modifying Unix scripts for improvement etc......

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Career Path/Change - Cert Help

This is a very serious post. I am a Cell Technician (Cellular Base Station Tech) who is completely bored because my job has basically evolved into a Field Secretary position. I love working on T1's and troubleshooting equipment outages and so on and so forth but my job has become VERY... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CoopDeVille
2 Replies

2. Programming

Unix Career path

Hi, I am having experience on Perl and C# and worked as Windows Sytem Admin and now iam planning to become a UNIX developer. I am having knowledge on basic UNIX.. can any one suggest me any good material for c/c++ UNIX programming. on what all things a UNIX Programmer needs to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrareddy1
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Career path help

I am working in a company in which my work includes working on Linux nodes. The "uname -arv" command outputs - "Linux clx28ap01 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat May 7 20:18:50 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux". I generally use various command to stop/start the servers, checking space,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
7 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Career path help forum

Hi Admins and Moderators, I am already in job for more than 2 years. I need some guidance in deciding the career path. Please suggest what should be the correct forum to post this to ? Rgrds, Rohit Moved thread to appropriate forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Career Path

First I like to say hi to all the people in this community. The reason I am here is because I am lost and looking for advice on my career path. Here is a short history. I worked in the IT industry for about 10 yrs, sys admin, QA, and developer. During 911 I lost my job. Since then I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: navy
4 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Career in Unix

I need some advice regarding my career. I have been working for a major it company in a unix based support project. I have not learnt much in the 2 years except for basics in unix. I am really worried about my career thinking about what would happen next. I always wanted to be a developer but i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2say
10 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX career path

Hi All, This question is regarding career path. I was not sure about which forum I should drop it, so putting it here. I have 12 years of experience on UNIX i.e. majority of Solaris and some of Linux (Suse & Red Hat). Since starting I have been working on 100% administration side and I am not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX career path for Admin

Hello, Just wanted to have a suggestion on UNIX carrier path and I couldn't found any proper forum/blog where I can put this question better than this one. I have been working on Solaris from past 13 years and some years on Linux. It was completely on Admin side and never on development or... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
12 Replies
asadmin-shutdown(1AS)                                              User Commands                                             asadmin-shutdown(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-shutdown, shutdown - brings down the administration server SYNOPSIS
shutdown [--user admin_user][--password admin_password][--host localhost] [--port 4848][--passwordfile filename][--secure|-s] shutdown gracefully brings down the administration server and all the running instances. You must manually start the administration server to bring it up again. OPTIONS
--user administrative user associated for the instance. --password administrative password corresponding to the administrative user. --host host name of the machine hosting the administrative instance. --port administrative port number associated with the administrative host. --passwordfile file containing passwords appropriate for the command (e.g., administrative instance). --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the administrative instance. Example 1: Using the shutdown command asadmin> shutdown --user admin --password adminadmin --host bluestar --port 4848 Waiting for admin server to shutdown... Admin server has been shutdown EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command INTERFACE EQUIVALENT
Administration Server page asadmin-start-instance(1AS), asadmin-stop-instance(1AS), asadmin-restart-instance(1AS)asadmin-start-domain(1AS), asadmin-stop-domain(1AS), asadmin-start-appserv(1AS), asadmin-stop-appserv(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-shutdown(1AS)