Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Split file at location of textpattern Post 302137701 by borgeh on Wednesday 26th of September 2007 11:05:33 AM
Old 09-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas
grep for #fruit then get a count with wc -l. Your source is structured with 5 lines for each entry so divide the number of #fruit entries found by 2 then multiply that by 5 using bc. You can then use the split -l command to make your two files using those results. I would add something to make sure none of the lines go missing.
Thanks!
I think this is close to a way to do it. How can x5 help me to find correct place to cut?
Something like this might work:

- Filter out heading or trailing newlines to assure the count will be correct.
- Grep for "#fruit" and pipe it through "wc -l" to get amount of "#fruit" - elements.
- If number is even number I can split in middle

"wc -l"/2.

- If number is odd I can split at:

("wc -l"/2)+3 lines

And then I probably have to adjust 1 lines up or down to get the split exact.
Hmm...if this works I need to find out if a number is odd or even.

Borgeh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting av file in 2 at specific place based on textpattern

I have a file that I want to split in 2 (with Bourne shell sh) preferably. The file consists of groups of lines separated by newline. The file can vary in length, so I need to check number of groups of text. Here's an example ====EXAMPLE START==== #fruit banana #color yellow #surface smooth... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: borgeh
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy files from one location to similar location

I need help in forming a script to copy files from one location which has a sub directory structure to another location with similar sub directory structure, say location 1, /home/rick/tmp_files/1-12/00-25/ here 1-12 are the number of sub directories under tmp_files and 00-25 are sub... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharos467
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash copy file contents into an existing file at a specific location

Hi all I need to copy the entire contents of one file into an existing file at a specific location. I know the exact line number where I need to put it. It appears I would use either sed or awk to do this, but I have been unsuccessful so far: File A line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gshepherd7
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put one string from one location to another location in a file

Hi Everyone, I have 1.txt here a b c' funny"yes"; d e The finally output is: here a b c d e' funny"yes"; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Copy files from one location to another location

Create a script that copies files from one specified directory to another specified directory, in the order they were created in the original directory between specified times. Copy the files at a specified interval. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allways4u21
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File created in a different location instead of desired location on using crontab

Hi, I am logging to a linux server through a user "user1" in /home directory. There is a script in a directory in 'root' for which all permissions are available including the directory. This script when executed creates a file in the directory. When the script is added to crontab, on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: archana.n
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy a file from one location to another location?

I have file file1.txt in location 'loc1'. Now i want a copy of this file in location 'loc2' with a new file called test.txt. Please help me how to do this in shell script. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a existing file location and directory location in Solaris box?

Hi This is my third past and very impressed with previous post replies Hoping the same for below query How to find a existing file location and directory location in solaris box (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buzzme
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with copying the list of files from one location to other location

A) I would like to achive following actions using shell script. can someone help me with writing the shell script 1) Go to some dir ( say /xyz/logs ) and then perform find operation in this dir and list of subdir using find . -name "*" -print | xargs grep -li 1367A49001CP0162 >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GG2
1 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split -d [-l line_count] [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -b byte_count[K|k|M|m|G|g] [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -n chunk_count [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -p pattern [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each (if no options are specified), leaving the file unchanged. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a suffix_length Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b byte_count[K|k|M|m|G|g] Create split files byte_count bytes in length. If k or K is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If m or M is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. If g or G is appended to the num- ber, the file is split into byte_count gigabyte pieces. -d Use a numeric suffix instead of a alphabetic suffix. -l line_count Create split files line_count lines in length. -n chunk_count Split file into chunk_count smaller files. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the prefix argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with the prefix ``x'' and with suffixes as above. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of split as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The split utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
May 9, 2013 BSD