Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change filenames to Proper case Post 302137697 by radoulov on Wednesday 26th of September 2007 10:36:27 AM
Old 09-26-2007
With zsh:

Code:
zsh 4.3.4% touch xyz.txt abc.txt
zsh 4.3.4% autoload -U zmv
zsh 4.3.4% zmv '(*).(*)' '${(C)1}.$2' 
zsh 4.3.4% ls
Abc.txt  Xyz.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make URLs/FileNames case insensitive in Linux Hosting environment

Hi, Currently my website is hosted on Linux-Apache environment. If I try to access a file on a website named "Read.txt" as http://xyz.com/READ.txt, I get an error message "Page Not Found". Only way to access is http://xyz.com/Read.txt. How do I make URLS (File Names and Folder Names)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naidu545
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames in a directory

I have a directory of files and each file has a random 5 digit string at the beginning that needs to be removed. Plus, there are some files that will be identically named after the 5 digit string is removed and I want those eliminated or moved. any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: crumb
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filenames change in a directory

Hi I have abc_ahb_one.v abc_ahb_two.v abc_ahb_three.v ........l like this -----upto abc_ahb_ninety.v in some directory. I need to change those file names to like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneethk
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames under different folders...

Hi, all: I'd love to use shell script to change all filenames under different folders once for all: I've got over 100 folders, in each of them, there is a file named "a.ppm". I wanna change all these "a.ppm" to "b.ppm", and still . Visually, the directory structure looks like: and hope... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

change filenames but not extension

I have a filename with a bunch of periods that I want to replace with underscores, but I don't want to change the extension. Ex: I want file.test1.f-1.fig.eps to be file_test1_f-1_fig.eps Using awk, the following line will replace ALL periods with underscores, but I want to leave the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: erinbot
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change case preserving the same case

how can i do a case insensitive search/replace but keep the same case? e.g., i want to change a word like apple-pie to orange-cake but for the first word if the first letter of the keyword or the letter after the - is capitalised i want to preserve that e.g., if the before is: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change filenames recursively

Hello, I made a mistake in a script and now need to go back and change allot of filenames. I need to change "v4" in filenames to "v3". I was thinking of something like this. #!/bin/bash FILELIST=$(ls -f -R *) for FILE in $FILELIST do # create new filename ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)