Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: KSH - Character Replacement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH - Character Replacement Post 302137370 by mixxamike on Monday 24th of September 2007 03:19:21 PM
Old 09-24-2007
KSH - Character Replacement

Hey all.

Easy question.

I have a (ksh) varaible x. It contains the following (for example): N557788

I want to replace the "N" with a "-".

I've done this before but for the life of me I cannot remember how I did it.

Thanks.

mtw

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in character replacement in Korn Shell

How do I replace a space " " character at a particular position in a line? e.g. I have a file below $ cat i2 111 002 A a 33 0011 B c 2222 003 C a I want all the 1st spaces to be replaced with forward slash "/" and the 3rd spaces to have 5 spaces to get the output below: 111/002... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character replacement

Hi, I am working on a command that replaces some occurrences of quotation marks in file. The quotation mark cannot be the first or the last character in line and cannot be preceded or followed by a comma. I am not an expert in regular expressions, but I managed to create the following... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed-Special character replacement

Hi I want to replace ./testsed.ksh with testsed.ksh ./ is to be removed scriptnm=`sed -e 's/\.///' $0 does not work Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usshell
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

banner character replacement

Can we able to replace the character # in banner command with some other characters. Can we able to blink the character in Kornshell (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
1 Replies

5. Programming

python, character replacement

Hello, I need to do this in python but I'm just learning py and it's quite urgent. I have a script I created and need an interactive python script to modify part of a line. MY SCRIPT #ligand prep. Uses 'ind' prefix. The initial ligand must be ind.pdb. This #generates ind.pdbqt.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gav2251
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

global search and replacement of a non-ascii character

Hi, I need to do a global search and replacement of a non-ascii character. Let me first give the background of my problem. Very frequently, I need to copy set of references from different sources. Typically, a reference would like this: Banumathy et al., 2002 G. Banumathy, V. Singh and U.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: effjay
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh string replacement over a carriage return

Hi. I need to make multiple string replacements in a file but several of the strings have been broken up by a carriage return so that the first few characters are on one line and the remainder on the following line. E.g like the word 'post' in the following: Use descriptive thread... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Big_Jeffrey
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacement file path with variable - Escaping / character

Hi,, I have the line below in a file: $!VarSet |LFDSFN1| = '"E:\APC\Trials\20140705_427_Prototype Trial\Data\T4_20140705_Trial_Cycle_Data_13_T_Norm.txt" "VERSION=100 FILEEXT=\"*.txt\" FILEDESC=\"General Text\" "+""+"TITLE{SEARCH=NONE NAME=\"New Dataset\" LINE=1I want to write a script to change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trigger email from script if the Special Character replacement is successfull

Hello Gurus, I have a script developed... #!/bin/bash #--------------------------------------------------------------------- # This pScript will remove/replace the special characters fromfiles #--------------------------------------------------------------------- trxdate="`date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nanduedi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character replacement

Hi Guys, I have a file which needs to be replaced with tab delimited AA§Orgin Name§Mapping based on prod_usa§§§§ BB§Date§2019-08-11 23:30:01§§§§ I am trying below code sed 's// /g' test.txt Expected AA|Orgin Name|Mapping based on prod_usa||| BB|Date|2019-08-11 23:30:01|||| (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
6 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)