Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I am the owner,yet not allowed the change the ownership Post 302137352 by Neo on Monday 24th of September 2007 01:17:40 PM
Old 09-24-2007
Thanks for the update.

Yes, if terrible_person owned a file with very nasty stuff, for example. It would be a security violation for terrible_person to change the ownership of their file to innocent_victim.

There are other reasons as well, this is just one example.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I change ownership of a directory and all of it's files.

How do I change ownership of a directory and all of it's files without changing permissions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mborin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change owner

How to change the owner of group? -rw-r--r-- 1 lead lead Now I need to change LEAD to SUBLEAD.. how do I do this. I am using this command. $chown -R sublead test.lck I get this message chown: test.lck: Not owner I am logged in a LEAD.. All your help in regards are greatly... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkyA
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User should not be allowed to change passwd

Hi Group, Can anyone assist me with this? I am on AIX 5.2 ML06. I create the user and assign a passwd. But I do not want the user to change the passwd at all. I like him/her to use the passwd that I have set for him/her. Any ideas would be highly appreciated!!! Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brookingsd
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change owner

Dear All, i have a file and i want to change the owner of that file from another user. for example $ ls -l pkc.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 tdmscrdr dba 717 Nov 2 17:10 pkc.txt the owner of pkc.txt file is tdmscrdr and group is dba i want to change the owner of this file from... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: panknil
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

change multiple ownership

Good afternoon, Sir's, i owuld like to search for some advice, whats the fastest way to change multiple files ownership. For HostnameA will be their basis, for what ever files and permissions that hostnameA has, it should replicate the permissions and ownership to hostname B. $hostname... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change owner.

i want to find what are the files having owner as 'palani' my entire filesystem ( sub directories ) and needs to change the owner ( chown ) to 'raju'. Can anyone help on this to write a shell script. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To change the ownership at one shot

i have a directory in which i have Multiple files: Following are they==== -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 886 Jan 21 16:38 trunkn.xsd -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 244 Jan 21 16:38 trunknameCache.xml -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1240 Jan 21 16:38 subscribercache.xsd -rw-r--r-- 1 root ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permission denied, but user is owner and has group ownership too

Folks, I have a problem with a particular file, that seems to have some kind of lock on it, that takes around 1 hour approx to timeout. I have used lsof and nothing has an open file handle on it, yet I cannot open it. My user/group owns the file and I can create edit/delete files in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottrus
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Ownership Change

Hi, I have several directories under an upload directory where differnt users upload their files (with exxactly the same file name every week) using their own user ids. There is a requirement that once any user uploads the file I have to clean that file and remove extra whitespaces and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbhonde11
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change ownership of a directory

I want to change the ownership of a directory ONLY. my id id1 owns the files under the /mypath/bin but /mypath/bin is owned by id2 If i log into id2 I can't do chown id1 /mypath/bin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: klarue
1 Replies
XtOwnSelection(3Xt)						     MIT X11R4						       XtOwnSelection(3Xt)

Name
       XtOwnSelection, XtDisownSelection - set selection owner

Syntax
       Boolean XtOwnSelection(w, selection, time, convert_proc, lose_selection, done_proc)
	  Widget w;
	  Atom selection;
	  Time time;
	  XtConvertSelectionProc convert_proc;
	  XtLoseSelectionProc lose_selection;
	  XtSelectionDoneProc done_proc;

void XtDisownSelection(w, selection, time)
	  Widget w;
	  Atom selection;
	  Time time;

Arguments
       convert_proc
		 Specifies the procedure that is to be called whenever someone requests the current value of the selection.

done_proc Specifies the procedure that is called after the requestor has received the selection or NULL if the owner is not interested in
		 being called back.

lose_selection
		 Specifies the procedure that is to be called whenever the widget has lost selection ownership or NULL if the owner is not inter-
		 ested in being called back.

selection Specifies an atom that describes the type of the selection (for example, or

time	 Specifies the timestamp that indicates when the selection ownership should commence or is to be relinquished.

w	 Specifies the widget that wishes to become the owner or to relinquish ownership.

Description
       The function informs the Intrinsics selection mechanism that a widget believes it owns a selection.  It returns if the widget has success-
       fully become the owner and otherwise.  The widget may fail to become the owner if some other widget has asserted ownership at a time later
       than this widget.  Note that widgets can lose selection ownership either because someone else asserted later ownership of the selection or
       because the widget voluntarily gave up ownership of the selection.  Also note that the lose_selection procedure is not called if the widget
       fails to obtain selection ownership in the first place.

The function informs the Intrinsics selection mechanism that the specified widget is to lose ownership of the selection.  If the widget
       does not currently own the selection either because it lost the selection or because it never had the selection to begin with, does noth-
       ing.

After a widget has called its convert procedure is not called even if a request arrives later with a timestamp during the period that this
       widget owned the selection.  However, its done procedure will be called if a conversion that started before the call to finishes after the
       call to

See Also
       XtAppGetSelectionTimeout(3Xt), XtGetSelectionValue(3Xt)
       X Window System Toolkit: The Complete Programmer's Guide and Specification, Paul J. Asente and Ralph Swick
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

XtOwnSelection(3Xt)