Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 8 login GUI doesn't come up. Post 302137269 by porter on Monday 24th of September 2007 04:53:19 AM
Old 09-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vntiger
What can I do next?
Does Xservers have a line referring to ":0" ? That means the first screen connected to the system. Do the log files method anything starting and failing.

On my systems there is a message on the system console at startup saying the ":0" is starting up.

Can you point an X terminal at the machine?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

pswd change on sco GUI login

Can i change the password on the SCO GUI interface login page and if so how? When I try to login it just goes right back to the login screen. If anyone has any suggestions, please reply. :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qphillips
3 Replies

2. Linux

how to root gui login enable

hi iam installed mandriva spring 2009 iam unble to login into gui using root how to enable it where the settings are stored (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Queries on cron and GUI login...

I have 2 queries: 1.how do we monitor failed GUI logins...? I think the /var/adm/loginlog will log only failed logins happened at /dev/console and virtual terminals.. 2.How to use cron scheduler to display a message when a user is working in GUI Terminal window irrespective of in which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saagar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Not able to login from GUI

Hi, When I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, I had chosen "automatic login" . So i was not asked ofr username and password everytime I switched on. I later wanted to change the settings. So I went to systems-->administration-->login window-->security. There I disabled automatic login and I reboot the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem with GUI login on Ultra 45

I have a Sun Ultra 45 that was working perfectly until i upgraded it to Update 9 with a zfs filesystem. The box is sparc based and has an internal video card. When i boot it up, i receive an X server error and, while checking /var/dt/Xerrors, the following message is displayed Fatal server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
9 Replies

6. Fedora

can't login via GUI but can via Putty

Hi all, I am able to login via putty to a fedora 10 workstation. But when i try to login via physical screen connected to workstation, it just gives me a blank screen and i cant see any options to enter username and passwd. How do i get the physical GUI to work. $ who -r ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
4 Replies

7. AIX

SSH login doesn't appear in who or w listing

If I login to one of our AIX 6.1 servers using SSH via PuTTY and I issue the who -a or w command I cannot see my session, although if I login via TELNET I can. Why is this? SSH: root#> who root#> w 08:06PM up 40 days, 27 mins, 0 users, load average: 0.05, 0.12, 0.14 User tty login@ idle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepinsight
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris machine is at # prompt not able to login in GUI mode

Solaris machine is at # prompt not able to login in GUI mode : I want to login solaris server in GUI mode from # prompt. ---------- Post updated 12-30-11 at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous update was 12-29-11 at 02:23 PM ---------- Hi, Please send me some guidelines regarding this.... as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunray
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

login via gui

I am not too new with linux. Since I installed a new version (2011) of Mandriva, I am unable to login via the gui (I'm currently using the live version of the same dvd free with Linux Format mag). I can login from a console as it has picked up the previous version's /home, but when I try to login... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: richardmellersh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to login into GUI mode.

hii all, I am unable to login into GUI mode in solaris 10. It is only prompting me to command mode credentials not going further to GUI mode.. Please help.. Thanks & regards, Bhagi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav90
3 Replies
startup(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						startup(7)

NAME
startup - event signalling system startup SYNOPSIS
startup [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The startup event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon after it has completed its own initialisation and is the signal that the rest of the system may be started. Typically this will involve checking and mounting the partitions and drives that form the filesystem, loading drivers for connected devices and starting the X windowing system or other login environment. In the default Upstart configuration, the primary task run on the startup event is the /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf job responsible for gener- ating the System V compatible runlevel(7) event. See that page for a more detailed explanation of this process. Paradoxically there is currently no corresponding Upstart-native event signifying that the system is to be shutdown, only the System V com- patible runlevel 0 and runlevel 6 events provide this functionality. EXAMPLE
A service with no other dependencies run on startup might use: start on startup SEE ALSO
runlevel(7) init(8) Upstart 2009-07-09 startup(7)