Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting lines inside a file without opening the file Post 302137029 by toms on Friday 21st of September 2007 08:18:17 AM
Old 09-21-2007
Deleting lines inside a file without opening the file

Hi,

Just consider there are around 10 lines in a file. Now is it possible to delete the first 2 lines in the file without opening the file. No matter whatever the content of the file is, I just wanna delete the first 2 lines without opening the file. Is that possible? If so, please help me out.

Thanks,
Toms

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent help required in deleting a line without opening a file usinga shell script

Hi, I need a help in deleting a line matching a particular pattern in a file using shell script without opening the file. The file is a .c/.cpp file. Is it possible? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting last 2 lines from the file.

Hi I have a file & always I need to remove or delete last 2 lines from that file. So in a file if I have 10 lines then it should return me first 8 lines. Can someone help me? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a file

How do I delete all the lines after the line containing text ***DISCLOSURES*** . I want to delete this line too. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting whole lines from a file

I have a file with 65 sets of 35 coordinates, and would like to isolate these coordinates so that I can easily copy the coordinates to another file. The problem is, I've got a 9 line header before each set of coordinates (so each set is 44 lines long). There are a zillion threads out there about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting lines from a file

How I can delete 100 lines anywhere in a file without opening a file and without renaming the file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nirgude07
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines from file

We have a server that logs transactions to a file. I want to write a script that will delete the first 50 lines of the file daily without renameing the file or moving the file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening File names with spaces inside it !- PERL

I developed a perl code..And the excerpt from it is given below... open(HANDLE,$cmp_path) ; #reading the xml file from the file path while($file_path = <HANDLE>) I have list of XML files to read from a folder. It has some spaces inside the name of the file...I used "\"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines in a file that match a pattern without opening it

In Unix, how do I delete lines in a file that match a particular pattern without opening it. File contents are foo line1 misc whatever foo line 2 i want to delete all lines that have the pattern "foo" without opening the file. File should eventually contain misc whatever (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osbourneric
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines from file using another file

Hi All, Need your Help. when i tried deleting lines from one file using another file i got this below error: $ sed "s/\(.*\)/\/^&$\/d/" a.txt > x.tmp $ sed -f x.tmp b.txt > target.txt sed: 0602-405 There are too many commands for the /^111111|.12|.00$/d function. a.txt: 111111|.11|.00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines of a file if they exist in another file

I have a reference file that needs to remain static and another file that may or may not have duplicate rows that match the reference file. I need help with a command that will delete any duplicate rows from the second file while leaving reference file intact For example reference file would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjdamon
4 Replies
curs_deleteln(3X)														 curs_deleteln(3X)

NAME
deleteln, wdeleteln, insdelln, winsdelln, insertln, winsertln - delete and insert lines in a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int deleteln(void); int wdeleteln(WINDOW *win); int insdelln(int n); int winsdelln(WINDOW *win, int n); int insertln(void); int winsertln(WINDOW *win); DESCRIPTION
The deleteln and wdeleteln routines delete the line under the cursor in the window; all lines below the current line are moved up one line. The bottom line of the window is cleared. The cursor position does not change. The insdelln and winsdelln routines, for positive n, insert n lines into the specified window above the current line. The n bottom lines are lost. For negative n, delete n lines (starting with the one under the cursor), and move the remaining lines up. The bottom n lines are cleared. The current cursor position remains the same. The insertln and winsertln routines, insert a blank line above the current line and the bottom line is lost. RETURN VALUE
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and an OK (SVr4 specifies only "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful comple- tion. PORTABILITY
These functions are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. The standard specifies that they return ERR on failure, but specifies no error conditions. NOTES
Note that all but winsdelln may be macros. These routines do not require a hardware line delete or insert feature in the terminal. In fact, they won't use hardware line delete/insert unless idlok(..., TRUE) has been set on the current window. SEE ALSO
curses(3X) curs_deleteln(3X)