Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed or awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed or awk Post 302136728 by Cameron on Wednesday 19th of September 2007 09:51:00 AM
Old 09-19-2007
Bug

Many thanks SanjayLinux, Klashxx & ghostdog74 for your replies.

Sanjay - too true - I used to remember using sed many years ago. Just been too long now. Smilie

Klashxx - thanks for the perl example, though my requirement isn't a case of plain substitution; rather replacement of the entire line. Smilie

ghostdog74 - yep a while has past since I first joined the forum. Was surprised I could even remember my UID & PWD for the site. Unfortunately because of my involvement in PCI and ISO work, I've not had much opportunity for sometime or a reason to use sed, let alone look at awk. Smilie

I was able to perform what I wanted to do via the command line, but would like to know how can I contain the following to a single-line command statement ??

$ sed '
> /^user/ c\
> user **** ****
> ' temp.txt

INPUT FILE:
user UID1 PWD1
user UID2 PWD2
user UID3 PWD3
get blah-blah-blah
close
bye

OUTPUT:
user **** ****
user **** ****
user **** ****
get blah
close
bye

Thanks in advance if you are able to assist with my query.

Cheers,
Cameron

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk / sed

I have many messages such as the test message below: 00:00000:00021:2002/05/13 13:57:00.51 ERROR:- Test error, my test error!!! I am writing a script in which I need to get everything from the word "ERROR:-" onwards. I normally use awk for these things, but I am not an expert at it so i am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baileyr1
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed,awk

Hi, I know sed is stream text editor and not a bit more than that. Can anyone explain its usage and advantages? How is awk different from sed? I donno i am a bit confused about it. But i have coded in awk and shell. Thanks, Nisha :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed in awk ? or nested awk ?

Hey all, Can I put sed command inside the awk action ?? If not then can i do grep in the awk action ?? For ex: awk '$1=="174" { ppid=($2) ; sed -n '/$ppid/p' tempfind.txt ; }' tempfind.txt Assume: 174 is string. Assume: tempfind.txt is used for awk and sed both. tempfind.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Awk or Sed help

Hi, I have a data file with 5 columns - like this: "20080401 09:43:08.770798 +0100s","TEST 1","R 1","A TEST","Nov 27 2007","1" "20080401 09:43:08.770798 +0100s","THIS IS A TEST","R 2","B TEST","Nov 30 2007","10" "20080401 09:43:08.770798 +0100s","ANOTHER TEST","R 3","B TEST","Nov 05... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrG-San
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed or awk?

I've got an inventory database with eight columns with things like product name, manufacturer, UPC code, etc. on each line. Our PO (purchase order) number is in the first column. I can grep the date and get the full line of data but I would like to strip out everything but the PO number in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NetJones
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed or awk?

What if I wanted to add a word such as IT after the first character and if theres 3 characters, after the 2nd character? output would be: G, it H G, H it P G, H, P it L I'm thinking that AWK would be the easiest way to do this... Currently looking it up. Right now I'm using awk but I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help using awk or sed.

Hi All, Is there a way of comparing two columns in the same file and deleting the row if the values of the columns match. I have the sample data file as below. M024900|175309.00|968.00|17 M025001|19861.79|97.90|148 M025002|431.70|159.00|3 M025003|912.30|159.90|6 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed/awk or help please

I have a file that contain the data below: B1 1 2 3 B2 20 30 40 B3 7 8 B4 100 B5 21 22 23How can I retrieve the data for B1 into a seperate file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is this possible using SED and AWK?

Dear Geeks, I want to manipulate a file with certain modifications for that using sed or AWK how to do this process for one file i have this type of data. Input File: "Restricted and Reserved names .ANISH",3798,"TEST.CO",1201208,6/16/10 0:00,6/16/13 0:00,,,"CO","2nd"^M "Restricted and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies
rbacdbchk(1M)															     rbacdbchk(1M)

NAME
rbacdbchk - Verifies the syntax of the Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) database files SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
verifies that there are no conflicting or inconsistent entries in and amongst the RBAC database files. also checks the syntax of the data- base files and prints messages indicating which lines contain errors. returns zero output if no errors are present in the database files. All the RBAC database files and are verified. See rbac(5) for more information on these RBAC database files. Options supports the following options: Checks the database. Checks the database. Checks the database. Checks the database. Checks the database. Cross reference checks all databases. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. International Code Set Support Single-byte character code set is supported. RETURN VALUE
0. Success 1. Incorrect syntax EXAMPLES
The following example finds an error that user is an invalid user # rbacdbchk [/etc/rbac/user_role] John: Administrator invalid user The value 'John' for the Username field is bad. The following example finds a syntax error, an extra colon at the end of a line: # rbacdbchk [/etc/rbac/user_role] root: Administrator: invalid name: Not alphanumeric The value 'Administrator:' for the Rolename field is bad. [Role in role_auth DB with no assigned user in user_role DB] Administrator:(hpux.*, *) The following example finds a field missing: # rbacdbchk [/etc/rbac/roles] : my comment invalid name: <empty> The value '' for the Rolename field is bad. The following example finds a bad role: # rbacdbchk [Role in role_auth DB with no assigned user in user_role DB] blah:(hpux.*, *) [Invalid Role in role_auth DB. Role 'blah' does not exist in the roles DB] blah:(hpux.*, *) The following example finds a bad group name: # rbacdbchk [/etc/rbac/user_role] &blah: Administrator invalid group The value 'blah' for the Group name field is bad. FILES
Database containing valid definitions of all roles. Database containing definitions of all valid authorizations. Database specifying the roles for each specified user. Database that defines the authorizations for each role. Database containing the authorization to execute specified commands, and the privileges to alter uid and gid for command execution. Database that defines the role-to-authorization to audit SEE ALSO
authadm(1M), cmdprivadm(1M), privrun(1M), rbac(5). rbacdbchk(1M)