Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help in /etc/passwd file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help in /etc/passwd file Post 302136620 by useless79 on Wednesday 19th of September 2007 12:53:40 AM
Old 09-19-2007
help in /etc/passwd file

Hi all,

As all of us know that in /etc/passwd file the first field correspond to username
could any one tell me what is bin , damoen etc in the first field, and r they in
user field , what is nologin in the last column ?

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin
daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/sbin/nologin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

/etc/passwd file

hi Does anyone anyone know what the last line of a unix user passwd file signifes? Mine shows "+:::::" best (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_mad010
4 Replies

2. Solaris

/etc/passwd file been deleted

Hi Folks , Would be grateful if someone could help me out in one of the question that came to my mind . If the /etc/passwd file has been deleted and the system has been rebooted . Then i dont think that any user would be able to login and the system will be useless . Whats the best solution for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gera_sachin125
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

/etc/passwd file manipulation

Hi How the user is allowed to change his password with passwd command, although /etc/passwd has read only rights. How this file gets modified upon changing password??? Thanks in advance for this query (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: puneet
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

apache passwd file

i am using apache2.0, and i used this command to create username/passwd: ./htpasswd -b passwd.file username password is it away to translate password back to plaintext ? for example, passwd.file contains: username:HnennjvqsGaQs i want to translate back to: username:password (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

5. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with passwd file

Not an unix expert, I read a few pages on the web about passwd files, but I didn't find the answers I need about the last 8 lines of the passwd file I'm taking a look at. I'm assuming their shortcuts to another file that may have the actual usernames of users on the system. Please, any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fusion31
1 Replies

7. Solaris

can't open /etc/passwd file

Hi all, Yet another problem on one of my nodes. I am unable to open my password file .It shows some junk alphabets. root@ecosdp26a>cat /etc/passwd... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
10 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Sorting the passwd file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Sort the file /etc/passwd using the fourth field (group ID) as the primary sort, and the third field (user ID),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nekulturny
3 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Lost /etc/passwd file

Hello, I'm trying to recover my /etc/passwd file, but I can't make it work. Im doing the following: 1. Booting from cd-rom: 2. Mounting hard disk drive 3. Copying my passwd and shadow files to /a/etc/ 4. Unmounting Hard disk: 5. Rebooting 6. Stopping my OS from booting ( by pressing... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvaradogunner
11 Replies
NOLOGIN(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							NOLOGIN(5)

NAME
nologin -- disallow logins DESCRIPTION
Programs such as login(1) disallow logins if the nologin file exists. The programs display the contents of nologin to the user if possible and interrupt the login sequence. This makes it simple to temporarily prevent incoming logins systemwide. To disable logins on a per-account basis, investigate nologin(8). SECURITY
The nologin file is ignored for user root by default. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The nologin feature is implemented through login.conf(5), which allows to change the pathname of the file and to extend the list of users exempt from temporary login restriction. PAM-aware programs can be selectively configured to respect nologin using the pam_nologin(8) module via pam.conf(5). The nologin file will be removed at system boot if it resides in /var/run and cleanvar_enable is set to ``YES'' in rc.conf(5), which is default. Therefore system reboot can effectively re-enable logins. FILES
/var/run/nologin default location of nologin SEE ALSO
login(1), login.conf(5), pam.conf(5), rc.conf(5), nologin(8), pam_nologin(8), shutdown(8) BSD
May 10, 2007 BSD