Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FIND/CHMOD combined
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FIND/CHMOD combined Post 302136570 by kahuna on Tuesday 18th of September 2007 01:16:29 PM
Old 09-18-2007
As far as how, you'll need to get the unix administrator to set you up with a unix account. You could reuse some of your existing code, but connect to the telnet port instead of the ftp port. I think Porter suggested ssh as a more secure way of connecting. But telnet should at least get you there if you are not concerned with security.

I should qualify the telnet statements. It assumes that there aren't firewalls in the way and that your unix box is not strictly an ftp server. That the unix system allow remote logins.

Last edited by kahuna; 09-18-2007 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: add qualifications

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them. Structered like this: /home/domains/domain1/ through to /home/domains/domain100/ and those 2 directories mentioned above are here: /home/domains/domain1/directory1/ /home/domains/domain1/directory2/ through to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neko
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on find with chmod.. urgent help needed

Hello to all Unix gurus.. I am writing a generic script which takes the options of unix command as input and concatenate all the pieces and forms a complete executable command. I am getting an error with the following command as I am resetting my own permission on the root directory. When the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can I find all tool which can setuid like chmod

for security issue ,i would like to find all privilege tools that can setuid how to do this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combined file?

hello there unix programmer i have problem in combining file and their values.. here it is. in my file1 i have values 1010<tab>10<tab>11<tab>13 1011<tab>11<tab>12<tab>14 in my file2 i have values 1010<tab>22<tab>23<tab>24 1011<tab>23<tab>24<tab>25 my desired output in shell... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jantzen16
7 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and automatically chmod

Hello everyone, my friend is asking for yOur Help. He is asking the script for combined find and changemode utility... Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iennetastic
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combined Two CSV Lines

I have two CSV lines, I.e.: Line 1 = the,quick,brown,fox, ,jumps, ,the, ,dog Line 2 = the,quick,brown,fox, , ,over, ,lazy,dog Literally, columns missing from line 1 exist in line 2. Any suggestions on quick ways to combined these two lines into one line: New line:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msf004
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Find and Chmod Question

I have a folder called "test" and this folder contains lots of other folders as sub folders, i intend to search for all file ending with .bin and then change the files to executable please how do i do this ---------- Post updated at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:42 AM ----------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oyesiji
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and cat combined

Hello, i need to search one word (snp1) from many files and copy the content of the columns of this word in new file. example: file 1: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.01 snp2 2 2 0.05 . . file 2: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.06 snp2 2 2 0.3 output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biopsy
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk combined with an IF

Hi everybody! I try to printout a csv-file with the exeption of cell $1 and $4. what i tried so far: awk '{for(i = 1; i<=NF; i++);if(i == 1 || i == 4);else print($i)}' file.csv ..any ideas how it work and why my example fails? Thanks in advance! IMPe (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
3 Replies
CHMOD(2)							System Calls Manual							  CHMOD(2)

NAME
chmod - change mode of file SYNOPSIS
chmod(name, mode) char *name; DESCRIPTION
The file whose name is given as the null-terminated string pointed to by name has its mode changed to mode. Modes are constructed by ORing together some combination of the following: 04000 set user ID on execution 02000 set group ID on execution 01000 save text image after execution 00400 read by owner 00200 write by owner 00100 execute (search on directory) by owner 00070 read, write, execute (search) by group 00007 read, write, execute (search) by others If an executable file is set up for sharing (-n or -i option of ld(1)) then mode 1000 prevents the system from abandoning the swap-space image of the program-text portion of the file when its last user terminates. Thus when the next user of the file executes it, the text need not be read from the file system but can simply be swapped in, saving time. Ability to set this bit is restricted to the super-user since swap space is consumed by the images; it is only worth while for heavily used commands. Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change the mode. Only the super-user can set the 1000 mode. SEE ALSO
chmod(1) DIAGNOSTIC
Zero is returned if the mode is changed; -1 is returned if name cannot be found or if current user is neither the owner of the file nor the super-user. ASSEMBLER
(chmod = 15.) sys chmod; name; mode CHMOD(2)