Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FIND/CHMOD combined
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FIND/CHMOD combined Post 302136559 by kahuna on Tuesday 18th of September 2007 11:06:55 AM
Old 09-18-2007
FTP and shell are different animals. The unix shell chmod is different from the ftp chmod. They are related by a common name and function, but are not the same thing. You could try "help chmod" to see what options FTP's chmod supports.

You are confusing what is available to you under FTP and what is available in a normal unix shell. There are vast differences. Think of it as the difference as to what's available logging into a windows ftp server and what is available at a DOS prompt. That is part of what initially made your original query so hard to understand.

Regarding executing a script, FTP does not normally allow that. You will probably need to get access to a normal unix shell logon.

Last edited by kahuna; 09-18-2007 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: more comments

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them. Structered like this: /home/domains/domain1/ through to /home/domains/domain100/ and those 2 directories mentioned above are here: /home/domains/domain1/directory1/ /home/domains/domain1/directory2/ through to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neko
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on find with chmod.. urgent help needed

Hello to all Unix gurus.. I am writing a generic script which takes the options of unix command as input and concatenate all the pieces and forms a complete executable command. I am getting an error with the following command as I am resetting my own permission on the root directory. When the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can I find all tool which can setuid like chmod

for security issue ,i would like to find all privilege tools that can setuid how to do this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combined file?

hello there unix programmer i have problem in combining file and their values.. here it is. in my file1 i have values 1010<tab>10<tab>11<tab>13 1011<tab>11<tab>12<tab>14 in my file2 i have values 1010<tab>22<tab>23<tab>24 1011<tab>23<tab>24<tab>25 my desired output in shell... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jantzen16
7 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and automatically chmod

Hello everyone, my friend is asking for yOur Help. He is asking the script for combined find and changemode utility... Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iennetastic
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combined Two CSV Lines

I have two CSV lines, I.e.: Line 1 = the,quick,brown,fox, ,jumps, ,the, ,dog Line 2 = the,quick,brown,fox, , ,over, ,lazy,dog Literally, columns missing from line 1 exist in line 2. Any suggestions on quick ways to combined these two lines into one line: New line:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msf004
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Find and Chmod Question

I have a folder called "test" and this folder contains lots of other folders as sub folders, i intend to search for all file ending with .bin and then change the files to executable please how do i do this ---------- Post updated at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:42 AM ----------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oyesiji
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and cat combined

Hello, i need to search one word (snp1) from many files and copy the content of the columns of this word in new file. example: file 1: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.01 snp2 2 2 0.05 . . file 2: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.06 snp2 2 2 0.3 output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biopsy
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk combined with an IF

Hi everybody! I try to printout a csv-file with the exeption of cell $1 and $4. what i tried so far: awk '{for(i = 1; i<=NF; i++);if(i == 1 || i == 4);else print($i)}' file.csv ..any ideas how it work and why my example fails? Thanks in advance! IMPe (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
3 Replies
IO::All::FTP(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 IO::All::FTP(3pm)

NAME
IO::All::FTP - Extends IO::All to FTP URLs SYNOPSIS
use IO::All; "hello world " > io('ftp://localhost/test/x'); # save to FTP io('ftp//example.org/pub/xyz') > io('xyz'); # GET to file # two ways of getting a file with a password: $content < io('ftp://me:secret@example.org/xyz'); $content < io('ftp://example.org/xyz')->user('me')->password('secret'); DESCRIPTION
This module extends IO::All for dealing with FTP URLs. Note that you don't need to use it explicitly, as it is autoloaded by IO::All whenever it sees something that looks like an FTP URL. METHODS
This is a subclass of IO::All::LWP. The only new method is "ftp", which can be used to create a blank IO::All::FTP object; or it can also take an FTP URL as a parameter. Note that in most cases it is simpler just to call io('ftp//example.com'), which calls the "ftp" method automatically. OPERATOR OVERLOADING
The same operators from IO::All may be used. < GETs an FTP URL; > PUTs to an FTP URL. SEE ALSO
IO::All::LWP, IO::All, LWP. AUTHORS
Ivan Tubert-Brohman <itub@cpan.org> and Brian Ingerson <ingy@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007. Ivan Tubert-Brohman and Brian Ingerson. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See <http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html> perl v5.10.0 2007-03-29 IO::All::FTP(3pm)