Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: screen control characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting screen control characters Post 302136483 by ajcannon on Tuesday 18th of September 2007 04:18:59 AM
Old 09-18-2007
using tput

Many thanks - problem cracked!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing control characters

using c-shell, does anyone know how to send control characters to the printer before the job? I need to set a printer to print in condensed mode HELP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mglinsk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting rid of control characters

how can i get rid of the control characters , ex. ^M, ^G, in a file? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove control characters

Hi, When I do a man and save it into a file, I end up getting a lot of control characters. How can I remove them?? I tried this: /1,$ s/^H//g But I get an error saying "no previous regular expression". Can someone help me with this. Thanks, Aravind (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravind_mg
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent : Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Can somebody please help me with the query. ? I want a part of program of which should look for control characters in the flat file , when it finds it, displaying message that Control Characters found..! Please help me (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnoone
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters - Control M

I have developed a small script to remove the Control M characters that get embedded when we move any file from Windows to Unix. For some reason, its not working in all scenarios. Some times I still see the ^M not being removed. Is there anything missing in the script: cd ${inputDir}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Control characters in UNIX

Hi, My files are showing some control characters in vi editor ^M ^@ and somtimes ^H I removed ^M with %s/^M//g command but how to represent ^@ and ^H e.g. for ^M it is hold ctrl then v and m.. Please help.. I am very new to unix.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhat.diwaker
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

Replacing control characters in HPUX

Hello dears, Please tell me how can I replace control characters with normal string. I have a file that contains normal string and ^A ^C control characters. I tried to use sed and awk without any luck. sed 's/^A/foo/g' text > text1 //not worked sed 's/\x01/foo/g' text > text1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control Characters

Hallo Team, I am trying to get rid of the dollar sign. I managed to remove all the other special characters but i am struggling with this one. -bash-3.2$ cat -e missing_revenue_20141112.csv|less|head BW0522168531211141180935668@196.23.110.141$ BW092218784121114-370120610@196.23.110.141$... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
4 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)