Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers recommended books for beginners Post 302136413 by briant on Monday 17th of September 2007 06:00:53 PM
Old 09-17-2007
recommended books for beginners

hi! what books do you recommend for someone like me who has no experience with unix?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

X-programming for beginners

Good morning. Thanks for the very valuable hard-to-find information I get from you guys. Can anybody give any suggested websites or references for anyone who wants to begin learning on programming applications in X? Thanks to anyone in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfsuminist
1 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

unix course for beginners

does anyone know of a course for unix beginners (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moose
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

UNIX for beginners

I am new to non Windows operating systems. Does anyone have advice on which UNIX OS vendor would be good for learning purposes. I was looking for a version of UNIX that runs on the Intel platform. Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase the software? Thank you. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmy113437
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk beginners question

hi, i start using awk and have a very basic problem. here's my code: #! /usr/bin/awk -f # 2010, scz # { $1 == "test" { print $2 } } this works on the command line but not as "program" - what is the difference between awk programs on the command line and executing awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svencz
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Recommended Linux books

Hi All, What books do you recomend to have for quick reference in regarding to Linux administration and performance monitoring? Thanks for your insight. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell program for beginners

Hey, i hope someone can help me with this program. I need to write a program in shell which will return how many times and how much time have users been logged in system between two dates. We give time as 2 dates as arguments in command line. Example: $ nameofprogram 27/04 06/05 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Exander
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX for beginners

i'm just a beginner in unix environment- please help which book to read and which os to use!!! :confused: seriously i've no idea what is unix or how much capable it is!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gaurav singh
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Neo's Recommended Audio Books

Just finished this Audible audio book. It's simply great. Highly recommended: This book was so well done that I did not want to miss a single word; so ended up listening to half of the book twice when I got distracted. This is a great audio book. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Which Linux Certification comes first for beginners?

I want to get a Linux Certification to start my Career in IT sector. My Qualification is MCS from a top university. Suggest me some Linux Certifications. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexwatson1711
1 Replies
FISH(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   FISH(6)

NAME
fish -- play ``Go Fish'' SYNOPSIS
fish [-p] DESCRIPTION
fish is the game ``Go Fish'', a traditional children's card game. The computer deals the player and itself seven cards, and places the rest of the deck face-down (figuratively). The object of the game is to collect ``books'', or all of the members of a single rank. For example, collecting four 2's would give the player a ``book of 2's''. The options are as follows: -p Professional mode. The computer makes a random decision as to who gets to start the game, and then the computer and player take turns asking each other for cards of a specified rank. If the asked player has any cards of the requested rank, they give them up to the asking player. A player must have at least one of the cards of the rank they request in their hand. When a player asks for a rank of which the other player has no cards, the asker is told to ``Go Fish!''. Then, the asker draws a card from the non-dealt cards. If they draw the card they asked for, they con- tinue their turn, asking for more ranks from the other player. Otherwise, the other player gets a turn. When a player completes a book, either by getting cards from the other player or drawing from the deck, they set those cards aside and the rank is no longer in play. The game ends when either player no longer has any cards in their hand. The player with the most books wins. fish provides instructions as to what input it accepts. BUGS
The computer cheats only rarely. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD