Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl - how come this script works? Post 302136329 by mjays on Monday 17th of September 2007 06:28:19 AM
Old 09-17-2007
perl - how come this script works?

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
open (DATA, file.txt);
@array = <DATA>;
close (DATA);

open (DATA, ">$file.txt");
for (@array) {
      s/text/replace text/;
      push(@contents,$_);
}
seek(DATA, 0, 0);
print DATA (@contents);

close(DATA);

could someone please explain how this works. i've been trying for awhile now to find out how to open a file, replace some text and then save the file. i eventually found the code above.

however, as far as i knew 'push' placed an item onto the end of an already defined array, but in the code above @contents isn't defined.

what's going on?

regards,

matt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works with bash 3.0 but not 3.2.

Hello, So my knowledge of bash scripting is not that great and I have been trying to solve this problem on my own for awhile to no avail. Here's the error I get when running it with an OS that uses bash 3.2.x: testagain.sh: line 10: *-1: syntax error: operand expected (error token is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forkandspoon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl oneliner not works .pl script

I am trying to take first 3 columns in a file which matches the word "abc", but i am getting the below error, <error> Global symbol "@F" requires explicit package name at ./new.pl </error> whereas when i give the below,grep abc /home/test/file.txt|perl -lane 'print \"$F $F $F\" in unix prompt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anspks
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl/unix: script in command line works but not in perl

so in unix this command works works and shows me a list of directories find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt but when i try running a perl script to run this command my $query = 'find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works but doesn't?

Hi everyone I'm new here so and I'm just starting to learn a bit of Solaris and I'm working on repairing 10 year old scripts for our system here at work. When I execute the commands at my prompt everything go's through smooth. I'm using gedit to edit my code because I'm still getting used to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 82280zx
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Command works in terminal, but not in shell script

Hi, the following command works in the terminal no problem. samtools view -h rawlib.bam | perl -ne '{ @line = split( /\s+/ ); $match = 0; while( $line =~ /(\d+)M/g ) { $match = $match + $1 } if( $match >= 80 || $_ =~ /^\@/ ) { print $_ } }' | java -Xmx12G -jar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script almost works... one error

Helo, i have written a bash script for running my calculations. anyway, according to shellcheck the error is somewhere in the while loop or in the if condition. so the idea of this script is: submit a job with a name. while it is in the queue it has a job ID number. after the job is done i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carborane
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl error in batch command but works one at a time

In the below perl executes if one file is processed perfect. However, when multiple files are processed in batch which is preferred I get the below error that I can not seem to fix it as the '' necessary for the command to execute, but seem to only work for one -arg option. Thank you :). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to understand how the line in perl program works as shell commend

I have a file with two line, one is header, the other actual value: TYPCD|ETID2|ETID|LEG ID|PTYP|PTYP SUB|TRD STATUS|CXL REASON|CACT|CACTNM|ENCD|ENC D NM|TRDR|ASDT|TRDT|MTDT|STDT|LS|SECID|SECID TYP|SECNM|PAR|STCC|MARKET PRICE|DIS MARKET PRICE|MARKET PRICE CURRENCY|SRC OF SETTLEMENT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works, but I think it could be better and faster

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and to bash scripting. I did some stuff with VB.net, Batch, and VBScripting in the past, but because I shifted over to Linux, I am learning to script in Bash at this moment. So bear with me if I seem to script like a newbie, that's just because I am ;-) OK, I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cornelvis
9 Replies
ALTER FOREIGN DATA 
WRAPPER(7) SQL Commands ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER(7) NAME
ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER - change the definition of a foreign-data wrapper SYNOPSIS
ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER name [ VALIDATOR valfunction | NO VALIDATOR ] [ OPTIONS ( [ ADD | SET | DROP ] option ['value'] [, ... ]) ] ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER name OWNER TO new_owner DESCRIPTION
ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER changes the definition of a foreign-data wrapper. The first form of the command changes the library or the generic options of the foreign-data wrapper (at least one clause is required). The second form changes the owner of the foreign-data wrap- per. Only superusers can alter foreign-data wrappers. Additionally, only superusers can own foreign-data wrappers. PARAMETERS
name The name of an existing foreign-data wrapper. VALIDATOR valfunction Specifies a new foreign-data wrapper validator function. Note that it is possible that after changing the validator the options to the foreign-data wrapper, servers, and user mappings have become invalid. It is up to the user to make sure that these options are correct before using the foreign-data wrapper. NO VALIDATOR This is used to specify that the foreign-data wrapper should no longer have a validator function. OPTIONS ( [ ADD | SET | DROP ] option ['value'] [, ... ] ) Change options for the foreign-data wrapper. ADD, SET, and DROP specify the action to be performed. ADD is assumed if no operation is explicitly specified. Option names must be unique; names and values are also validated using the foreign data wrapper library. EXAMPLES
Change a foreign-data wrapper dbi, add option foo, drop bar: ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER dbi OPTIONS (ADD foo '1', DROP 'bar'); Change the foreign-data wrapper dbi validator to bob.myvalidator: ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER dbi VALIDATOR bob.myvalidator; COMPATIBILITY
ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER conforms to ISO/IEC 9075-9 (SQL/MED). The standard does not specify the VALIDATOR and OWNER TO variants of the command. SEE ALSO
CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER [create_foreign_data_wrapper(7)], DROP FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER [drop_foreign_data_wrapper(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 ALTER FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER(7)