Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep command Post 302136296 by vino on Monday 17th of September 2007 03:14:33 AM
Old 09-17-2007
See the man pages of find. Look at the explanation of the flag -exec under the section ACTIONS.

As for /dev/null, it is some hack which makes grep spit out the filename before showing the matching lines.

See this for the difference

Code:
grep $USER /etc/passwd

and
Code:
grep $USER /etc/passwd /dev/null

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep command

What is the meaning of this grep -v $object grant_BU.sql>temp (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: debasis.mishra
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to exclude the GREP command from GREP

I am doing "ps -f" to see my process. but I get lines that one of it represents the ps command itself. I want to grep it out using -v flag, but than I get another process that belongs to the GREP itself : I would like to exclude # ps -f UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with grep command

Hi guys, i wondering with any1 could help me with this. I have this script will i need to "grep" an integer form a file x2. If the value is 0 then it's ok. But anything greater then 0, i'll ask the script to echo an error message. This is how the script looks like: MESSAGEFILE=x2 STRING="0" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanyou.lin
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with using grep command with copy command

Hi, im taking an entry Unix class, and as part of my lab assignment I have to copy all files in the /home/david/lab3 directory that have the file extension .save to your lab3/temp directory. I'm having trouble getting the grep to do anything worth while I've been trying to do: cp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Critical jeff
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Command

Hi, I have around 500 Text files and Each file will be having either String1 or String2. I want to list the file only which has String1 and Sting2 in a single command.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: balasubramani04
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on grep command...

Hi I have lots of file in on folder and i want to egrep from only few files. List of files...... Polt_KJ_430_OutputRBS_istUt_CR2.log Polt_KN_4122_OutputRBS_ncChk_CR.log Polt_LN_2230_OutputRNC_Hth_CLKLKL.log Solt_KJ_430_OutputRBS_istUt_CR2.log Solt_KN_4122_OutputRBS_ncChk_CR3.log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command

grep -i -f panel_genes.txt hg19_refGene.txt > match.txt seems to be pulling names the do not exist in the input file (panel_genes.txt) - the output is attached as well (match.txt) For example, RNF185 or ZNF146 are not genes in the input. I am trying to match the input file genes only and am... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello, I am running below command as root user #nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count" Memtable switch count: 12 Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result. #su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pushpraj
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help on grep command

for example i have a directory home/solaris/unix/samplefiles/ with defaults files in it.. those default files have 1 word in common "UNIX". how can i list the files without "UNIX" words in it using grep command thanks, im using unix solaris, korn shell.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveaztig14
1 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)