Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to read a file using shell ?? Post 302136261 by ranga27 on Sunday 16th of September 2007 09:57:46 PM
Old 09-16-2007
this is not a homework can you please give me the sample code

i am new to this shell programming area .. designing a script for my work

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read from a file in C shell?

Hi All, I want to read some number from a file into a variable in C shell as follows. I know that the syntax in ksh is read x < file name I dont know what's the equivalent for this in C Shell Can some one pls. help me out? Thanks in advance raju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajugp1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read words from file and create new file using K-shell.

Hi All, Please help me in creating files through K-shell scripts. I am having one file in this format. OWNER.TABLE_NAME OWNER.TABLE_NAME1 OWNER1.TABLE_NAME OWNER1.TABLE_NAME1 I want to read the above file and create new file through k shell script. The new file should looks like this.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsrajirs
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Post Shell programming: Question about source a file and read data from the file

This is shell programming assignment. It needs to create a file called .std_dbrc contains STD_DBROOT=${HOME}/class/2031/Assgn3/STD_DB (which includes all my simple database files) and I am gonna use this .std_dbrc in my script file (read the data from the database files) like this: .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccwq
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell script to read two file at same time and print out in single file

Need shell script to read two file at same time and print output in single file Example I have two files 1) file1.txt 2) file2.txt File1.txt contains Aaa Bbb Ccc Ddd Eee Fff File2.txt contains Zzz Yyy Xxx (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedhargouda
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read file and check file type

Hi, I have a file with few values in it. I need script help to read file line by line and check: 1/if it's a file (with extension eg .java .css .jar etc ) or 2/if it's a file without extension and treat it as a directory and then check if the directory exists in working copy else create one... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read specified value from file and echo to the same location to other file.

Hello. I want to to backup some "default:" values from a file do some other job and after restore that "default:" values back. The problem is that the source and destination file has a lot of default: strings in it but with different values... So.. Here is an example: A part of my source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ausdim
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell Script to Read the given file contents into a merged one file

Like to have shell script to Read the given file contents into a merged one file with header of path+file name followed by file contents into a single output file. While reading and merging the file contents into a single file, Like to keep the format of the source file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)