Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: command question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers command question Post 302136178 by Kirichiko on Saturday 15th of September 2007 11:03:33 PM
Old 09-16-2007
Thank you soo much K

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about rm command

i have a lot of messages file in the var directory i want to delete now i want to keep messages.1 to messages.10 and then delete everything else after 10 which is like 10 to 96 obviously i cant delete these files individual, can someone tell me the command to delete messages.11 to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IMPTRUE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about using tr command

Hello all: I'm trying to use the tr command to change some text in a file, but it is not working as expected. Here's what I'm trying: tr 'INVOIC01' 'INVOICZZ' < inputfile > outputfile It looks to be changing not just the entire string, but any characters within. I just want to change the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merliech
2 Replies

3. Solaris

question about command

On Solaris 8 - what is the equal command to chfs. Thanks carson (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmackin
3 Replies

4. Solaris

cp command Question?

I am trying to following.. cp -rp oradata to /prod1 /prod2 /prod3 How I can copy oradata directory in to multiple directories? Thanks -Ad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deal732
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Question

What does 'directory=`pwd $1` ' mean, I know pwd is present working directory, so does that command take the present working directory of the directory the user is in depending on the varible ($1)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayden
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

while command question

Hi What does while ( : ); do ...... ...... ...... done; mean? Does "while ( : )" refer too while true? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv Command question

When I use the mv command like say, mv file1 ../, it will move file1 to the parent directory of my current working directory. But where would the file go if I do mv file ... (with 3 periods), where would this move file1? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaStErXLY
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about why a command does this

$ echo 2 * 3 > 5 is a valid inequality. This will create a file in the current directory named '5' with the number '2' in it, the names of all the files in the current directory, followed by the number '3' and 'is a valid inequality.' What I do not understand is why 'is a valid inequality' gets... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to Unix command line and have a question about the "sort" command

I am going through the Unix Made Easy second edition book by John Muster. So far it's been very informative and I can tell it may be a bit out of date. In one of the exercises it talks about the "sort" command and using it to sort column's of data etc. The "sort" command has changed a bit and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: budfoxcat
1 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Ls command question

I am scratching my head right now. I am trying to archive a ton of files in a directory. I am attempting to tar them by year. On our development server if I type ls *_2008* it returns all of the files I am expecting to see. (The format of the filename includes xx_xx_xxx_2008-09-29_xxx.xxxx.xxxx)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmartin99
8 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change login password in Network Information System (NIS) SYNOPSIS
[name] Remarks The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality remains the same; only the name has changed. DESCRIPTION
changes or installs a password associated with the login name in the Network Information System (NIS). The NIS password can be different from the one on your own machine. If name is omitted, it defaults to the name returned by (see getlogin(3C)). prompts for the old NIS password (even if it does not exist), then twice for the new one. The old password must be entered correctly for the change to take effect. Checks occur to ensure that the new password meets the following construction requirements. o Only the first eight characters are significant. o A password can be as few as four characters long if it contains o at least one special character or o a mixture of numeric, uppercase and lowercase letters. o A password can be as few as five characters long if it contains a mixture of o uppercase and lowercase letters or o numeric and either uppercase or lowercase letters. o A password must contain at least six characters if it contains only monocase letters. All these rules except the first are relaxed if you try three times to enter an unacceptable new password. You cannot, however, enter a null password. Only the owner of the name or the superuser can change a password. The Network Information System password daemon, must be running on the master NIS password server to change NIS passwords. See yppass- wdd(1M). WARNINGS
The password update protocol passes the old and new passwords to the master NIS server at once. Thus, if the old NIS password is incor- rect, no notification is given until the new NIS password is successfully entered. The password construction rules are different from those of the HP-UX command (see passwd(1)). The root user's password cannot be changed using or Therefore, root users must change their password in the files database and then recon- struct the NIS maps using the command. For more information on how to use the command, see ypmake(1M). User applications that call this routine must be linked with For example, AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
id(1), passwd(1), su(1), yppasswdd(1M), getlogin(3C), yppasswd(3N), ypfiles(4). yppasswd(1)