Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swap increases constantly
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Swap increases constantly Post 302134747 by fazliturk on Monday 3rd of September 2007 09:13:14 AM
Old 09-03-2007
İf you profiled yor file app. and every thing is okey. That means you need extra real memory. This is normal behavior. Blowtorch is very rigth.

but you can try vmtune may be. Just very veak oportunity. Look at vmtune man page. I can't remember the parameters now. But you can get faster LRU (Last recently used ) chain.

what happens;
your app needs for memory looks at real memory and can't find and uses swapp . So you must release some memory pages more faster.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

SCO 5.05 hard drive pulsing constantly

Just recently my hard drive has started to pulse like data is being read or written constantly. Causes? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimser
2 Replies

2. Programming

How to create constantly running process

Ther are two process in my program and i want both to constantly running. So i have written the following code. But one of this process which is calling function wsJobCheck() is getting terminated with giving message : Program exited normally. Can any one suggest why this is happing. Code : ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhakti
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Swap config - Mirror swap or not?

Hello and thanks in advance. I have a Sun box with raid 1 on the O/S disks using solaris svm. I want to unmirror my swap partition, and add the slice on the second disk as an additional swap device. This would give me twice as much swap space. I have been warned not to do this by some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check Quota of the Environment and mail the user if the threshold increases.

Hi All,I wish to check the quota of the system and if it increases the threshold value,I need that a mail is shot to the environment user informing hi/her about the same.I know it can be done using cron jobs and warnquota command but I am unable to implement it as I am not acquianted with both... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Taranjeet Singh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Quota of the Environment and mail the user if the threshold increases.

Hi All, I wish to check the quota of the system and if it increases the threshold value,I need that a mail is shot to the environment user informing hi/her about the same. I know it can be done using cron jobs and warnquota command but I am unable to implement it as I am not acquianted with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Taranjeet Singh
1 Replies

6. Gentoo

xorg constantly freezes

this is purely for posterity but it took me a while to find this solution online. 10.1 comes wanting to install the stable releases of xorg and the kernel. However on many platforms (especially with intel video) the result is an xorg that functions for a few minutes but then hangs up and prevents... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Server load rapidly increases resulting in complete freeze

Hi All, I run Linux server that hosts PHP/MySQL web-projects. The problem is that it becomes irresponsive periodically, avg. load rapidly goes up to 100.0 and more and I have to do cold reboot. Usually this sudden increase happens in 1-2 mins and it's very difficult to catch this moment in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: livedatesearch
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Explain the output of swap -s and swap -l

Hi Solaris Folks :), I need to calculate the swap usage on solaris server, please let me understand the output of below swap -s and swap -l commands. $swap -s total: 1774912k bytes allocated + 240616k reserved = 2015528k used, 14542512k available $swap -l swapfile dev swaplo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seenuvasan1985
6 Replies

10. AIX

Pinned system memory growing constantly

Hi, Pre data: a server running AIX 6.1 TL9 with 2GB memory and a small amount of CPU, running a very light workload. I have a server which crashed on lack of memory. After the crash I found - using nmon analyser - that there was something eating up memory. Nmon referred to it as "system". ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trifo75
1 Replies
SYSINFO(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SYSINFO(2)

NAME
sysinfo - return system information SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/sysinfo.h> int sysinfo(struct sysinfo *info); DESCRIPTION
sysinfo() returns certain statistics on memory and swap usage, as well as the load average. Until Linux 2.3.16, sysinfo() returned information in the following structure: struct sysinfo { long uptime; /* Seconds since boot */ unsigned long loads[3]; /* 1, 5, and 15 minute load averages */ unsigned long totalram; /* Total usable main memory size */ unsigned long freeram; /* Available memory size */ unsigned long sharedram; /* Amount of shared memory */ unsigned long bufferram; /* Memory used by buffers */ unsigned long totalswap; /* Total swap space size */ unsigned long freeswap; /* Swap space still available */ unsigned short procs; /* Number of current processes */ char _f[22]; /* Pads structure to 64 bytes */ }; In the above structure, the sizes of the memory and swap fields are given in bytes. Since Linux 2.3.23 (i386) and Linux 2.3.48 (all architectures) the structure is: struct sysinfo { long uptime; /* Seconds since boot */ unsigned long loads[3]; /* 1, 5, and 15 minute load averages */ unsigned long totalram; /* Total usable main memory size */ unsigned long freeram; /* Available memory size */ unsigned long sharedram; /* Amount of shared memory */ unsigned long bufferram; /* Memory used by buffers */ unsigned long totalswap; /* Total swap space size */ unsigned long freeswap; /* Swap space still available */ unsigned short procs; /* Number of current processes */ unsigned long totalhigh; /* Total high memory size */ unsigned long freehigh; /* Available high memory size */ unsigned int mem_unit; /* Memory unit size in bytes */ char _f[20-2*sizeof(long)-sizeof(int)]; /* Padding to 64 bytes */ }; In the above structure, sizes of the memory and swap fields are given as multiples of mem_unit bytes. RETURN VALUE
On success, sysinfo() returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the cause of the error. ERRORS
EFAULT info is not a valid address. VERSIONS
sysinfo() first appeared in Linux 0.98.pl6. CONFORMING TO
This function is Linux-specific, and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
All of the information provided by this system call is also available via /proc/meminfo and /proc/loadavg. SEE ALSO
proc(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SYSINFO(2)