Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: touch
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting touch Post 302133504 by ramky79 on Thursday 23rd of August 2007 04:46:56 PM
Old 08-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
You will need file write permissions to change the date.

I don't think you actually need to own the file (user ID match), but you have to have the right permissions.
I have the permissions to write....
here is the scenario.
I have a shell script which monitors a particular directory for text files, If found it processes the files sequentially (fifo)and uploads data into a database, this shell script is up and running all the time.(where 1=1)
but, some files in this directory have dependency on other files, say I should have two text files to kick the process to upload the data from them into a database.
For some reason if the shell script sees only one file among the two it will not process it until it sees its dependecy (other missing)file in the directory
so as to give preference to the files other than this dependency set , I have added a touch command ( the whole purpose of this is to change the time stamp) and make the fifo logic work out.
but strangely the system is throwing the above error. This functionality was working fine for the last few months
Any idea what might be triggering the system to throw this error..
Thanks for your attention and precious time.
Regards,
Ram

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch Function

I would like to "touch" all of the files in all of my directories. Instead of typing touch *.* in each directory, how would have unix touch all files in all of my directories? Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a025321
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command

hello everyone i am new to this forum and was wondering if you all could help me out.... i am looking for a touch command that can touch directories as well as files that does not involve sygwin... any and all help would be appreiciated :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OrthoProof USA
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command help

Hi, This might be the stupidest question ever but here it goes, i need to create a file with the name Hello! It's $s It using the touch command but whenever i use touch 'Hello! It's $s' i get s is undefined touch Hello! It's $s i get ' unmatched Please help ^_^ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch and permission

Hi All, I have requirement to give permission to empty file. I do it in two steps. But is it possible using touch command with some option for providing permission for a file. Regards, gehlnar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch all files and subdirectories (recursive touch)

I have a folder with many subdirectories and i need to set the modified date to today for everything in it. Please help, thanks! I tried something i found online, find . -print0 | xargs -r0 touch but I got the error: xargs: illegal option -- r (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

touch help

I need to change the modified time to below time , but can't get through using touch Nov 27 10:16 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on touch command

Hi all I changed some of my files in my hoem directory to old dates using the touch command like this touch -t 200805101024 file name but after using this command the date changed properly but it displays like below -rwxr--r-- 1 fincntrg fingrp 193619 May 10 2008 vi.pdf I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Touch Command

Hello, I am trying to use touch command to create 1200 .txt files. I am using this, but it is not working. touch `seq 1 1200`.txt Regards, Siddhesh.K (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with touch and timestamps

Hello fellow Unix geeks, I have been given a very urgent assignment in my office on writing a particular Shell script but I'm very much new to it.I would appreciate any help from you on solving this problem--which might seem very trivial to you. The Unix flavour is a Sun Solaris one..(not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Digjoy83
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch Challenge

I've been given a directory full of subdirectories full of logfiles of the same name: /logfiles/day1/file1/blockednodes.csv day1-14 file1-48 The above is the actual directory structure for 14 days worth of a logfile that is generated every 30 minutes. It's been done this way to preserve the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
15 Replies
uucp(1c)																  uucp(1c)

Name
       uucp, uulog, uuname - unix to unix copy

Syntax
       uucp [option...] source-file...	destination-file

uulog [option...]

uuname [option...]

Description
       The  command  copies  files  named by the source-file arguments to the destination-file argument.  A file name either may be a path name on
       your machine or may have the form

system-name!pathname

where `system-name' is taken from a list of system names which knows about.  Shell metacharacters ?*[] appearing in the pathname part  will
       be expanded on the appropriate system.

Pathnames  may  be  a  full  pathname, a pathname preceded by ~user, where user is a userid on the specified system and is replaced by that
       user's login directory, or anything else prefixed by the current directory.

If the result is an erroneous pathname for the remote system, the copy will fail.  If the destination-file is a directory, the last part of
       the  source-file  name is used.	If a simple ~user destination is inaccessible to data is copied to a spool directory and the user is noti-
       fied by

The command preserves execute permissions across the transmission and gives 0666 read and write permissions.  For further information, see

Options
       The following options are interpreted by

-d Creates all necessary directories for the file copy.

-c Uses the source file when copying out rather than copying the file to the spool directory.

-m Sends you mail when the copy is complete.

-nrec
	  Sends mail to the recipient.

-W Expands only local files.  Normally files names are prepended with the current working directory if a full path is not  specified.   The
	  -W tells to expand local files only.

The command prints a summary of and transactions that were recorded in the file

The options cause to print logging information:

-ssys
	  Displays information about work involving specified system.

-uuser
	  Displays information about work involving specified user.

The command lists the uucp names of known systems.

-l Lists local system name.

Warnings
       The  domain  of	remotely  accessible  files  can (and for obvious security reasons, usually should) be severely restricted.  You will very
       likely not be able to fetch files by pathname.  Ask a responsible person on the remote system to send them to you.  For the  same  reasons,
       you will probably not be able to send files to arbitrary pathnames.

Restrictions
       All files received by will be owned by uucp.
       The  -m	option	will  only work sending files or receiving a single file.  (Receiving multiple files specified by special shell characters
       ?*[] will not activate the -m option.)

Files
       /usr/spool/uucp - spool directory
       /usr/lib/uucp/* - other data and program files
       /etc/acucap - shared autodial modem database

See Also
       mail(1), uux(1c), acucap(5)
       "Uucp Implementation Description," ULTRIX Supplementary Documentation, Vol. III:System Manager

uucp(1c)